Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

Chevrolet express 3500 has a u1016 code. We have trouble

Customer Question

Chevrolet express 3500 has a u1016 code. We have trouble with electrical issues when the wheel is turned right or left. It causes the instrument cluster to go out and it will not start
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: such as
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Chevy Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Chevy
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have a chevy 2006 express 3500, when I turn the steering wheel in either direction all the way the dash lights (bat., sercurty, drl,) all light up. and when I center the steering wheel they go off. I get a u1016 code from instrument cluster module. with my power probe tool on the serial data line, the ground light flickers fast. truck will start if steering wheel is not in right postion
Expert:  Eric replied 10 months ago.

HI,

I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question

Ok, I am showing this as loss of communication with the pcm - see attachment - does your scan tool communicate with the pcm ok?

Please remember that I am not there and therefore rely on you to provide as much detail as possible