Daniel Jones
Daniel Jones,
Experience:  GM A Tech at Straub Buick GMC
15093763

Low beam lights won't work. gh beam come and go. Tried

Customer Question

Low beam lights won't work. High beam come and go. Tried replacing switches but didn't work. Any ideas?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Daniel Jones replied 10 months ago.

Hello. Welcome to the site. Thanks for coming. I'm ***** *****.
I'm here to provide as much information and insight as I can, to best answer your question.

Did you check to see if you have power to the headlights?

Thank you for posting your question.

Your business is very valuable to us.
Thank You

***** *****

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have power. Both high and low beams come and go. High works more often than low

Here is a description of the Operation of the lights and the wiring diagram.

Headlamps

The headlamp driver module (HDM) is an electronic module that provides electrical power to the vehicle low beam headlamps. The HDM is controlled by a pulse width modulated (PWM) ground signal from the body control module (BCM). The BCM determines the desired lamp intensity using the ambient light sensor, multifunction switch , wiper motor, and the park brake switch as inputs. In general, the HDM will operate in one of three modes:

• Reduced Intensity Mode: This mode is used by features that do not require or allow maximum low beam headlamp intensity such as daytime running lights (DRL) (nominal: 81% duty cycle).
  • Full Intensity Mode: This mode is used by features that require full low beam headlamp intensity such as low beam headlamp operation in manual, wiper activated headlamp (WAH), or auto modes (nominal: 100% duty cycle).
  • Off Mode: This is the default mode of the system that will occur when none of the features described above are active. The BCM will deactivate its PWM output (0% duty cycle) during this mode.

The normal battery voltage input to the HDM must be between 6 and 16 volts DC to operate. Any deviation to these values could cause improper operation.

Major components of this system are the BCM, HDM, ambient light sensor, multifunction switch, park brake switch and low beam headlamps.

The headlamps may be turned on in three different ways. First, when the driver places the headlamp switch in the HEADLAMP position, normal operation occurs. Second, with the headlamp switch is placed in the AUTO position, automatic lamp control (ALC) occurs. During ALC control, the headlamps will be in daytime running lamp (DRL) operation in daylight conditions, or low beam operation in low light conditions. Third, in wiper activated headlamp (WAH) mode. Only when the wiper system is activated while the vehicle is in gear, the wiper blades have completed at least 3 cycles, and then a 35 second time period expires, will the BCM switch from DRL mode to headlamp mode during daylight conditions. When the gearshift lever is placed in the PARK or NEUTRAL position or if the wipers are turned off, normal manual or ALC operation will resume after approximately 60 seconds.

The HDM and high beam relay receive battery positive voltage directly from the battery. The BCM supplies a 100% duty cycle PWM ground signal to the HDM for automatic headlight control and normal headlight operation. The BCM also supplies ground to the high beam relay coil for high beam headlight operation. When the driver places the headlamp switch in the HEADLAMP position and the dimmer switch is in the low beam position, the HDM switches to full output sending current flow through the left and right low beam headlamp fuses to both low beam headlamps. The dimmer switch sends a ground signal to the BCM in the high beam position and a momentary ground signal in the flash-to-Pass (FTP) position from G102 to deactivate the low beam headlights and activate the high beam headlights. With the headlights in the low beam position, the high beams may be momentarily turned on or flashed by activating the FTP portion of the switch.

The instrument panel cluster (IPC) illuminates the high beam indicator when the body control module (BCM) detects that the high beams are requested. The IPC receives a class 2 message from the BCM requesting illumination.

The Headlamps On at Exit and Perimeter Lighting modes can be adjusted using the steering wheel controls to select the desired fuction as displayed in the driver information center. The Headlamps On at Exit selection will allow the driver to customize the period of time that the headlamps remain illuminated upon exiting the vehicle. This period can be adjusted from 0 seconds to 180 seconds. The Perimeter Lighting feature allows the driver to select if they desire the headlamps and backup lamps to illuminate when the door UNLOCK button on the key fob is activated. This feature can be turned ON or OFF by using the driver information center steering wheel control buttons.

If you need more help, please use the "Reply" tab to continue our conversation - I'm happy to answer follow-up questions.

If you have no follow-ups at this time, please remember to Rate My Service.

Thank you for posting your question.

Your business is very valuable to us.
Thank You

***** *****

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Way above my level of understanding. Should I take to a mechanic?

If you replaced the switch and they are intermittently working it might be difficult for you to try and figure it out. It would probably be better for you to take it to a mechanic.

Thank you for posting your question.

Your business is very valuable to us.
Thank You

***** *****

Thank you for posting your question.

Your business is very valuable to us.
Thank You

***** *****