GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

My Name is ***** *****, I have a 2011 HHR LT that replaced a

Customer Question

My Name is ***** *****, I have a 2011 HHR LT that replaced a 2006 HHR LS. The cruise control and the “Center high mount stop light” (CHMSL) does not work. Also I am having a power drain from the battery. The tail/brake lights were LED lights. I have replaced those with the filament bulbs. I also have replaced the brake switch on the brake pedal. Occasionally I will go out and look at the HHR and the center high mount stop light will be lit. I have done a lot of reading and troubleshooting these problems and I am at a loss. I have also cleaned all of the battery connections from the battery to the fuse box. Any help would be greatly appreciated on what else I can do. In advance thank you. I use the meter to check the voltage at the third stop light voltage was zero with brake on. Tested it to ground and the voltage was still zero. Checked the lower brake lights when pedal depressed was 12 V. When using the flashers the voltage was 10.4 V. Turn the auto on and off in the third light stayed on with car turned off or on, and upper brake light started working was at 10.8 V. Turned the car off and on the upper brake light stopped working.Upper brake light is not controlled by brake pedal. Start auto and press brake pedal and nothing. Turn ing off and the upper brake light goes on. Stays on until you restart the car...... There is a 50/50 chance of it going on when car ing turned off. Any ideas?????
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I have a 2011 HHR LT that replaced a 2006 HHR LS. The cruise control and the “Center high mount stop light” (CHMSL) does not work. Also I am having a power drain from the battery. The tail/brake lights were LED lights. I have replaced those with the filament bulbs. I also have replaced the brake switch on the brake pedal. Occasionally I will go out and look at the HHR and the center high mount stop light will be lit. I have done a lot of reading and troubleshooting these problems and I am at a loss. I have also cleaned all of the battery connections from the battery to the fuse box. Any help would be greatly appreciated on what else I can do. In advance thank you. I use the meter to check the voltage at the third stop light voltage was zero with brake on. Tested it to ground and the voltage was still zero. Checked the lower brake lights when pedal depressed was 12 V. When using the flashers the voltage was 10.4 V. Turn the auto on and off in the third light stayed on with car turned off or on, and upper brake light started working was at 10.8 V. Turned the car off and on the upper brake light stopped working.Upper brake light is not controlled by brake pedal. Start auto and press brake pedal and nothing. Turn ing off and the upper brake light goes on. Stays on until you restart the car...... There is a 50/50 chance of it going on when car ing turned off. Any ideas?????
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Chevy Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 10 months ago.

Hi, My Name is ***** ***** for posting your question to just answer. I am a independent contractor for just answer, and ASE Certified Master Auto Technician with 20 years experience. I am confident we can resolve your problem together.Please remember I don't know your skill level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies to get to a satisfactory resolution.There will probably be some equipment needed for a proper diagnosis. If you are not comfortable with this or do not have any test equipment please let me know ASAP. I also try to give all of the information you may need expecting a positive rating. I am not compensated for my time until you leave a positive rating. Your rating should be based on the service you received.

Do you have a scan tool?

Did you calibrate the Brake pedal position sensor when you replaced it?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I do not have a scan tool, could go to auto parts store if needed to have done. I did not calibrate the Brake Pedal sensor.David A Swiglo

You need a high end scanner to calibrate the sensor. You need to start here. The parts store scanner will not do this function. Calibration may fix problem.

The BCM is what turns the light on. You would have to monitor BPP data to determine if BCM is faulty. It also needs to be programmed when installed and used will not work.