GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

1995 Chevy truck, replaced motor and now when I hook up

Customer Question

1995 Chevy truck, replaced motor and now when I hook up battery some lights on dash are on. Motor starts with key but keeps running in off position
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Reggie Whiddon replied 1 year ago.

And this happened after motor installation, and i see you have installed a new ignition switch, with no change, if you unplug the ignition switch do the lights on dash go out?

Are you certain that you have the lock cylinder and gears in time and the switch adjusted properly, how about if you pull it down and operate it manually do you have this problem?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When we unplugged switch and hooked up battery lights were still on. When we tried new switch , we tried it outside of the column never messed with cylinder.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ignition still activates more lights and heater motor and such when you turn key, but some lights and fuel pump activate when battery cables are hooked up. Then when started will not shut off.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will there be more to the answer??

Yes sir I am going to help u fix this please be patient with me I'm not there I can't see smell or touch the truck so I have to ask some questions, this is kind of an unusual problem. I agree with your method of eliminating the ignition switch. And u didn't have this problem before, for this to occur somewhere a power wire is hooked up wrong, I am about to review thr wiring for your truck I will be back shortly

Sir I promise u I am here until it's done

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you I just never tried this before.

Sir I have looked and looked at your wiring diagrams and can't see a place where thr mistake could hAve been made. So let's try this, hook up the battery I know your lights will be on go out under hood and disconext battery cables one at a time from alternator, starter and battery stud until probkem goes away, if that don't find it with the ignition switch unplugged probe each wire and tell me which ones have voltage

And I am standing by

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok may be tomorrow as I have to go to work.

Okay just hit me up, I believe when u report back with that information I can pinpoint your issue.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Reggie I have had to work OT and have not had time to try these yet. I will let you know.

Hey that's a good thing, I been doing the same. Thanks for checking in

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Reggie I can unhook the starter wire and the alternator and it still has power to some dash lights and fuel pump. When I unhook power wire from fuse box it stops but of course I don't have any power at all.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There are three wires to positive battery terminal. Fuse box-starter and alternator.

Okay. I was hoping to find it at the alternator or starter. I guess the best t hing now would be to drop the ignition switch unplug it and let's Check the wires and see which ones have voltage we should find one hot that shouldn't.be and we can backtrack from there

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok

Have you checked then yet?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No Reggie I was unable to work on it Sunday.

Okay will let me know im ready lets get this fixed. lol