BOBBYSS
BOBBYSS, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, AA DEGREE AUTO/DIESEL TECH
1627031

2012 chev equinox. 2.4 ecotec engine 110000 km.. dealer

Customer Question

2012 chev equinox. 2.4 ecotec engine 110000 km.. dealer replaced timing chain and fuel pump 2 weeks ago, but did not replace timing gears. engine is making noise again on cold start-up and on moderate acceleration. once the engine warms up, noise stops.should they not have put in new timing gears as well? Ted Tollifson
Category: Chevy
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 10 months ago.

Hello Ted, my name is***** for the question. Yes, when the timing chain is replaced the tensioner and the gears should be replaced. Most of the time if this is done under warranty they will only replace the minimum. I would request they go back in and do it correctly. One other part that may be causing this is the oil pump. Is have had quite a few of these fail on this engine. I would request that the also do a mechanical pressure test of the oiling system also. All of this should have been done prior to just replacing the chain. I hope this answers your question. Please let me know if you need further assistance.

Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 10 months ago.

If you need anything else please let me know. If you do not need anything further please rate when you can. Thank you.