GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

I have a 2005 Chevy Malibu and am having problems with it.

Customer Question

I have a 2005 Chevy Malibu and am having problems with it. Let me tell you what happens when I am on the road. After a while of driving it starts to sound like when it is going up a slope or hill, like it is dragging and will not make it to the top (I am on a straight road). The temperature starts rising and the brake pedal gets hard which makes it difficult to stop. All the while it seems like it will die out. I hope my description gives an idea of the problem with the car. The car was in the shop with this problem. They did the following: Thermostat replaced, Trans axle oil pan gasket replaced, A/Trsax Filter Kit replaced. $360 bucks down the drain.
Thanks, *****
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name Dan. Based on description it sounds like brakes could be locking up. Next time problem happens check to see if any of the rims feel hot which would indicate that brake is locking up. Let me know, thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This reply cost me $38 bucks? Thought there would be more details.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

This is only the beginning of the conversation, depending on what you find we will continue. If one brake is hot you probably have a sticking brake caliper, all four are the problem then it would be your master cylinder. Then I could give you estimated cost or instructions on how to replace. I just figured we would start by checking with brakes. If brakes seem fine then we could move onto transmission related problems. Is the check engine light on?