Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  14 years GM dealer Technician.
14928985

I have a 05 chevy 7500 truck. the problem is when tting the

Customer Question

Hello, I have a 05 chevy 7500 truck. the problem is when hitting the brakes I lose power steering. The truck came in with a new pump, steering box, hydroboost unit and all new lines. They were all new gm parts. It felt like the pump was losing pressure so we put another new pump on. Still have the same problem. I read about the missing check ball that didn't get changed over when replacing the unit, so i pulled the electric motor down from the unit. The only check ball I see is on the motor itself. The unit was a new gm that came with the motor!. I now just bought A rebuilt steering box from weller and another hydroboost unit. Still have the same problem!!! I would like to test the pressure but I can't find anyone with the right metric fittings. I went to a local rebuilder and they didnt even have the fittings. What they did tell me was these steering boxes were junk. They have all kind of valve problems. The customer stated that the truck had a different engine installed. I was thinking maybe that the pump wasn't spinning fast enough, but I can raise the idle up to 1500 and still lose steering. I took all the new hoses off and made sure they were all clear. I forgot to mention that we just put new kingpins in so the front end is good. Dont't want to give up but dont't know what else to do!
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

The first thing that needs done here if this has not been done already is to have the fault codes read out/checked to see what codes are set.Once this has been done any codes set will need to be diagnosed to locate and repair this fault here.This will require a scan tool or dealers computer to read all computers for fault codes to see if any are set.If you can get this done and post the code info here this may help as this may be something at fault like a sensor failure.If this has already been done and no codes are set let me know.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete