Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  14 years GM dealer Technician.
14928985

Have 99 chevy venture 3.4 engine has a skip intimently

Customer Question

have 99 chevy venture 3.4 engine has a skip intimently started in aug 15 this is a full engine skip runs fine when it runs. sometime go 100 mies no problem getting worse lately.It is stalling but starts right back up some times takes 3-4 starts to get going also happens a lot up going up big hills sometimes making turns onto highway. I have replaced fuel filter fuel lines,tps,ivac egr valve mas air flow sensor and assembly, fuel pressure reg. never know when its going to act up. It has not left beside road yet. Had some tell me its fuel pump others had similar problems changed computer it took care of problem. any help would be appreciated
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: what other detail would you like
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Chevy Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

What can cause this fault here and be intermittent like this here in allot of cases is a fault with the crank position sensor itself.Your model uses two of these one at the front crank pulley/harmonic balancer and one at the back side of the engine block above the engine oil pan as seen here https://www.dropbox.com/s/yj49q3c08cknkig/crank-01-29.gif?dl=0.This is the sensor that is common to act up intermittently and cause this type of fault.In allot of cases this sensor wont set a fault code for itself failing either so this can make it difficult to pinpoint as the fault.

When it acts up it can lose signal briefly and cause an engine skip and in some cases it can lose signal all together causing a hard start and in some cases a stall out.

I dont suspect this is the fuel pump at fault here as usually this fault would occur all of the time and you would usually see lack of power due to lack of fuel pressure.This sounds more like this crank sensor needing replaced.

It can be purchased at a dealer or parts store and usually less then $100 and around an hours labor to have it replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete