Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Senior Technician
84449473

I have a 2010 Cruze Auto CDX Diesel. It is really slow

Customer Question

Hi, I have a 2010 Cruze Auto CDX Diesel. It is really slow changing gears up and then refuses completely to change gears down, so going up hill is at snails pace. I have flicked over to manual override and change the gears myself. The code 84 fault is appearing. I have had the car in for repair and they thought it was caused by a split in the turbo cable so that was changed and I picked up the car - all good for about 5km and the fault came back. Any suggestions about what I say to them tomorrow when I ring. My concern is of course that they think they can tell me anything and I'll believe it because I'm female and have no idea about car stuff - which is true on both counts so I would appreciate some advice if you have any :) Many thanks. ***** *****
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Hi, yes, the odd thing was I was able to trick the car by turning it off & on again while at a red light after that it was behaving normal. However, it would be back to code 84 again next trip. Does that help? ***** *****
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Chevy Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 10 months ago.

Hello there,

We have the same car in Australia.

The Cruze is known for turbo boost pressure leaks, code 84, which could be anything in the plumbing between the airbox and the intake manifold.

The transmission shifting erratically could be a result of this, but I would get the vehicle scanned for trouble codes (DTCs).

Any GM dealer should know what is wrong with your car.

I've had many with similar faults.

Hope this helps.

Gary

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The GM dealer was the one who "repaired" the vehicle without addressing the actual fault.
Stating any dealer should know does not diagnose the problem, nor justify payment for such an answer. If you have had many with similar faults what has been the root cause? And why does it appear that the vehicle is moving into limp home mode?
Expert:  Gary replied 10 months ago.

Ok, it could have had an induction system leak or leaks, one of which they have fixed.

Does it have normal power, or down in power (more correctly, torque)?

I would dare say it has a transmission problem at the same time.

Cruze GF6 transmission prior to 2012 is known for failure.

Are all the modules programmed with the latest software?

I can give you more to go with, if you can give me a code stored in the car.

Needs to done with a GM scan tool.

Gary

Expert:  Gary replied 10 months ago.

Hi there,

Just checking to see if you have had any success.

There are some common faults, but there is always some as "one off" type faults.

Hope you can get it fixed.

Regards

Gary