Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Chevrolet Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification
11042942

I swap a 1997 3.4 2006 3.5.evrething fit but cannot fit a

Customer Question

i swap a 1997 3.4 for a 2006 3.5.evrething fit but cannot fit a crank sensor in block .the 3.4 is to long and 3.5 has 3 pins.how can i make evrething work so i can start the engine
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: the only thing left is to put a crank sensor in the block to have sparks.theres one on the crank pully .is it enouf to get the engine start whitout the one on the block?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Chevy Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 1 year ago.

The crank sensor on the back side of the block is the one that triggers the ignition control module for spark (and injector) timing. The engine will not run without this sensor. In order to use the factory sensor, you will need a crank sensor swap kit. See link below for the part.

Crank trigger swap kit

.