Joe Prestia
Joe Prestia,
Experience:  Lead Automotive Tech at Belle Tire
92135077

I have a 2000 Chevy Silverado that has security light that

Customer Question

I have a 2000 Chevy Silverado that has security light that stays on even when key is removed causing the battery to drain and won't start. Light had been coming on and staying on for about 3 weeks but could start jumping it because light drained batt. also at same time day light running lights didn't come on,radio stopped playing when key was turned off,dome light not working, hi/lot beam indicator light not working. Then everything worked for a week then stopped as described above
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dan replied 10 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** body control module is what operates everything you mentioned and would be the reason for these problems. A new body control module needs to be reprogrammed to vin at dealership. Module + Installation is about a $500 job at dealership. Let me know if you have more questions or if there is anything else I can do to help. Thanks.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I'll give a rating and comments when I finish doing what he advises
Expert:  Dan replied 10 months ago.

No problem, let me know how it goes. Thanks.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Dan, I've changed the bcm and still have all issues as before security light is solid and changes from batt to security continuely and stays on with key out I had a coder plunged in to it and it read pin error
Expert:  Dan replied 10 months ago.

How did problem start? Thanks.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It started by not starting with light on you could wait 18 min and would start it wouldn't do again for about a month or so then do it again until now Could it be in ignition switch
Expert:  Dan replied 10 months ago.

Does the engine turn over?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Expert:  Dan replied 10 months ago.

Have you tested for spark and injector pulse? Is your scantool capable of checking BCM codes or only PCM? Thanks.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
How do you check for spark and injector pulse when we checked codes and it read pin error was told any coder would read same
Expert:  Dan replied 10 months ago.

There are a few different modules in the vehicle and some scantools can read codes in all the modules but most of the cheap ones can only check PCM codes. I'll open question up to see if someone else has some ideas, I think a scantool capable of reading all modules would be beast at this pont.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok thanks you don't think it's in ignition switch with all other issues dealing with truck
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 10 months ago.

HI there. I am Cam. Give me a minute to check what you have looked at so far.

Ok, Do you have anything aftermarket installed like a remote starter?

With the security light staying on, what fuse do you pull to get that light to go out?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
There is nothing added at all. I'll check fuses and get back

Sure thing. Start in the truck and work your way out.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The 15a fuse for the radio under hood when pulled light went out didn't check rest of fuses

Ok, if you pull the cluster or radio out, what happens?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I've unpluged radio put fuse in and light comes on and still same with fuse in or out

Ok radio fuse in or out, the security light does stay on still? I though that one made it go out.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Light does stay off with fuse out won't start with fuse out or in

If you unplug the cluster, put the fuse in, what happens?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Radio unplugged fuse in security light comes on won't start Radio unplugged fuse out light is out won't start

Remove the instrument cluster. It is als powered by the radio fuse.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Removed instrument panel andd unplugged put fuse in won't start fuse out won't start

Ok, this does suggest we need codes. BLUEDRIVER is a device, 99$ sold on amazon reads all system codes.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok I bought a bosch 1050 moble scanner and got it installed. I plugged into truck and light on scanner doesn't come on and doesn't connect with phone gives me a connect to moble scan not connected and won't give any codes at all. I've plugged into my car a chevy monte carlo and had no problem connecting and getting results did the same to F150 pick up and connected and got results tried on my truck again and still light on coder didn't come on and can't connect to get any codes

Does your scanner have a light to indicate if it's getting power?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
it came on when I plugged it to car and F150 but light didn't come on when plugged into chevy truck with issues or connect to phone

Ok, check the CIGAR fuse. It may not have power.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I checked the cigar and radio fuses and both have power going thru them

Do the top centre pins (2) of the data plug have a ground?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I tested each one and both made tone on tester when grounded

Ok so this gets very difficult. there is a splice pack in the harness behind the dash near the plug. Its #3 in the first picture. Pull the centre pin out and then connect manually the terminal for the Body Control Module (BCM) and Powertrain Control Module (PCM) only and see what happens. Then connect the pin for the plug and each module and probe for codes with your scanner. The pinout is also attached. If you find a module that is killing the data line, let me know and I can direct you on its location and carry on.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I've tried what you suggested and still can't get light to go out or get code to read kept saying saying code scanner undetected

Was the BCM replaced yet?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I bought one with same numbers

Installed, setup and programmed or just installed?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Installed was told when it was bought as long as the numbers where same didn't have to setup or program

It does need programming do theft system operation.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Contacted local Chevrolet Dealer to get BCM programmed and he said that it couldn't be done and if numbers where same it would work . I asked if he could plug it up and see if was programmed right and was told the older BCM he couldn't test. I told he about other issues going on he said it was probably the ignition switch or passlock. Does anyone have any other problems like these that could help solve this
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Do you have any other things to try or have someone else look over all that was tried to see if they could solve problems since you or myself aren't having any luck
Expert:  Joe Prestia replied 9 months ago.

I have diagnosed one or two of these types of symptoms as bad instrument clusters. From my sources it seems to be a relatively common failure. If you're confident in taking it apart you will likely see a problem with the printed circuit board inside.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I removed the instrument cluster and everything looks good except the small board at bottom behind gear indicator one corner was discolored little bit

Could you possibly upload a picture of that spot and the opposite side of the PCB (Printed Circuit Board) in that spot that looks like it got hot? I will give you my opinion as to whether or not that could be your culprit. Throwing parts at things gets expensive quickly but at this point I'd be frustrated enough to swap one out of another truck. Do you have access to an ammeter (usually a function of a DVOM)? If so can try a parasitic draw test? I can find you the procedure.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I've sent e-mail to you with picture

My apologies. You probably noticed I'm new here. I'd like to help your sort this mess out but I don't see your email anywhere!

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Where do you want me to send picture to what e-mail address

You can send photo's to***@******.*** or attach here.

I received your email. The discoloration you pictured probably wouldn't be enough for me to risk throwing a new cluster at it. I've seen that type of color on boards in cars that are heavily smoked in from time to time. Does your truck still start with a good battery? Did it start with a boost or good battery before the BCM was replaced? If it did and doesn't now I would recc. re-installing the original BCM. If it only doesn't start after it's been sitting then we need to do a few more tests with the multimeter. I can walk you through the procedure if need be.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The security light was staying on but would start if battery wasn't low or jumped, daylight running lights don't work, radio goes off when key is turned off, dome light doesn't work these issues happened all same time truck battery low now charging but there is a buzzing noise under dash that quits when brake pedal is pushed I have put orignal bcm back in

Try unplugging the ignition switch while the key is off and out of the lock cylinder. If the lights and noises go away replace the ignition switch.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok I'll get back to you in a little bit. Why can't I get a coder to read tried hand coder and read pin error and Bluetooth coder and can't connect

A problem with the ignition switch could be causing some computers to not power up. A problem with the instrument cluster could also be killing the serial data line which is a line used to establish a communication circuit between all of the different modules and computers on your truck. Your instrument panel is also known as an IPC or instrument panel cluster module: For what that's worth to you.

Oh and I also assumed that you checked the obvious (a bent pin where you're plugging your scan tool into the data link connector (DLC or OBDII port)

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
went through all fuses also

Alright John, Standing by. Hope we can get this thing figured out for you today.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok instrument panel back in turned key to on everything come up except now security light or red battery light doesn't come on still won't start

Is it now a crank/no start, or is it a no crank condition? if you cycle the key in the ignition a bunch of time can you get any of the old symptoms to return?

If it is because of a no crank/no start condition you also need to be sure that the battery isn't drained again. But I'm guessing you've already verified it has a good charge.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I put charged battery in and low battery out all gauges respond except message center and light under it. Try to start it turns over but doesn't even tries to run

Are you also saying that the Security and battery light don't come on at all during the initial bulb check when turning the key on? Or are those working okay after swapping for a fresh battery? Does repeated cycling of the key change any of the symptoms? if not what about wiggling the connector on the back of the IPC or tapping on the IPC with the heel of your palm or knocking on it with you knuckles (use a small rubber mallet in place of your knuckles if you're working in the cold to prevent injury)

Is it possible the vehicle was in a flood at some point in its life?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Security and battery light don't come
on at all any time. Repeated cycling of key has no effect either, tried wiggling plug and tapping on instrument panel and still no change

Does it start with the cluster harness unplugged? I would try that and plug it back in and look for a change in symptoms one more time. Then look for corrosion on the underside of the underhood fuse box if I couldn't prove the cluster or ignition switch bad. Finally after all of that I think I would kill it with fire.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Unplugging cluster still no change no corrosion seen . I removed radio earlier then put back in did I need to reset anything for the thief system for radio

Off the top of my head I'm not sure but I don't believe so. I'm just about at a loss here. My best shot in the dark guess would be throw a known working cluster in it and see what happens. but I'm not sure it will help your no start issue because if my memory serves correctly these trucks will start and run with the ICP unplugged. I'll opt out like the the others before me and keep following closely because I'm dying to know what you find on this thing. Good luck and please let me know if there is anything else I can do for you! And for what it's worth here is a copy of the five page schematic for your instrumentation. If you'll look closely you"ll see that all of your related symptom areas are somehow connected. But I also believe they're all connected through the ignition switch and other computers like the BCM

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thanks for your help and I'm going to hopefully find out what's going on before I lose all my hair
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I didn't get wiring diagrams could you send them to***@******.***

http://www.revbase.com/BBBMotor/Wd/DownloadPdf?id=18560 My apologies John here is the correct link. PDF Format

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Just wanted to let you know I got secu
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Just wanted to let you know got security light on had truck off key out unplugged ignition and light stayed on

I have a another shot in the dark for you here. Measure the voltage drop at the plastic case of your battery from just between the two terminals. A dirty battery (Even one that looks clean) Can discharge itself across it's own surface robbing other functions of the power they need.

You're already tried ignition relearn procedure right? And I also found this TSB for you although but it seems like a longshot unless the ignition switch had already been replaced.

http://www.revbase.com/BBBMotor/TSb/DownloadPdf?id=121993

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Did everyone just forget about me? I havn't heard from another expert yet I haven't had any changes to my problems with any advice so far there has to be someone that has had this problem before

It seems nobody wants to help here. There's a couple things I'd like to know and one thing I'd like to tell you. One. Do we have injector pulse? You may need a noid light set (there are alternatives-i think a small bulb might work but do some research. I've always had the proper test set- and they can be cheap. You may have mentioned this, but ; Two. Do we have spark?

And for you to consider, I agree with Cam in getting it programmed. Call a different Chevy dealer and see if they can check the program in your bcm and update if need be. I'm not positive but I'm pretty sure they used these modules to manage trucks with different options packages.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thanks for getting back to me I'll try some of your suggestions and let you know what I find out
Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Do you still need help with this here as I see that have been several opt outs?

Let me know,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
still trying to figure this out any other suggestions would be helpful

Did you have a chance to look into programming again? This question is about to time out do this post should keep it alive. Keep us in the loop!

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have gone to 3 dealerships Radcliff, Hardinsburg and Brandenburg's in KY and all of them told me it can't be programed or checked to see if it's bad what do you do when dealership won't help when owners manual tells you to see dealer