GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

Today I was driving my 07 6.6 duramax. Some how it built

Customer Question

Today I was driving my 07 6.6 duramax. Some how it built enough pressure to blow the oil fill cap off. It blew a lot of oIL out. I noticed blue smoke behind me seconds before. Not sure if it was from exhaust or the filler cap missing. I was coasting when it done it and I killed it soon as I noticed it so I'm not sure if it lost power. After I got it stopped and opened the hood. I restarted it. I do know it has blow by coming from the fill tube. And wasn't running smooth. Not like a miss tho. It has 151,xxx miles. Never had a single problem out of it. Any ideas?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 10 months ago.

Hi there. I am Cam.

Sorry to hear about this issue. When you are idling, you say its not smooth, does it sound or feel like its missing on a cylinder?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It didn't feel like a dead miss. I honestly didn't let it run long enough to see. Soon as I seen smoke I killed it. Then restarted it and seen the blow by from the filler tube. It wasn't constant blow by. It was puffing it out. So I instantly killed it again. Is there and thing else in a LMM engine that would make it puff blow by out? Head gasket maybe? This thing has never given me 1 second of trouble ! Although I do recall it was holding 35 lbs of oil pressure when I restarted it. I'm going to have it hooked up on a computer tomm. And begin a tear down if need be. Worst case scenario I will be looking for a long block.

Usually they don't give trouble. With blow by, I have only ever seen that as internal engine failure. Watching for a long block may be a good idea. I would see which cylinder is missing and pull that injector. Remember this is backwards. Even on drivers side and odd on passengers.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I could only hope for a head gasket blown to the inside. Makes me sick. Do you know of any reputable places to purchase a long block ?

Other than GM, no I do not. Lets reconnect when you get a code and do a bit more diagnosis first.