GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

2004 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 starts, but sometimes turn

Customer Question

2004 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 starts, but sometimes turn signals and tachometer will not work with engine running. Sometimes engine will not turn over when key is turned to start position except if I manually jump starter relay. Also cruise control may or may not work with above conditions. Cruise control, on occasion, when engaged has caused engine to turn off and not restart.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 10 months ago.

Hi there, I am Cam. I am sorry to hear about your issue.
With your truck, do you get any warnings on the dash when this happens?

Also when you manually jump the starter, I am assuming it remains running properly?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Whenever I manually engage the relay with the switch in the on position the truck will start, but the tachometer and turn signals won't work. If I turn the switch off and try to start the truck normally, the truck will not start. I have no indications that this will happen except the turn signals and tachometer quit working.

Do you have anything aftermarket installed like a remote starter or such?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No, none installed. However when I bought the truck it did have an aftermarket electric cooling fan installed but I had it replaced with stock cooling fan.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
This problem is intermittent but it does seem to be getting worse.

I am honestly thinking there is a bad connection, and my first thought is the ignition switch, which is know for issue on these. with how cheap the switch is, 40$ or so from GM, I would just replace it. Attached are directions.

Other places to look are the area under the fuse block under the hood for corrosion, mice, rats, squirrels, other rodents. Check the grounds on the frame under the drivers door.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Is there more than one ground? If not, wouldn't a bad ground cause all the systems to shut down?

There are many ground wires, under the drivers door on the frame are 3 that are common for issue. Ground issues cause VERY strange issues so it may not cause everything to shut down.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I'll give it a try and let you know.

Sounds good.

Please bookmark this page so you can easily navigate back to it so we can continue the discussion. This is done by pressing (CTRL D on PC and CMD D on Mac). You can reply at any time for follow up information regarding this issue, even after you rate the site and I will reply.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Are the grounds outside or inside the cab & approximately where are the located?

Outside, and ont eh ear of the frame under the drivers front door.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok, thank you. I'm going to clean & inspect the grounds, replace the ignition & starter relay along with cleaning their contacts. Hopefully this will correct the problem.

Sounds good.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. Please rate my answer 3-5 and feel free to ask any follow up questions regarding this issue you may have.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have replaced the ignition switch and starter relay. I found 3 ground wires going to 2 bolts under drivers side exterior. I cleaned the bolts, washers, wire lugs, & frame well. Reassembled with no difference. Tachometer & turn signals still not working. Will not crank unless I manually depress relay.

Does the heater fan work when this happens?

Have you taken off the cover to the fuse block to inspect under it?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The fan only works on level 5, not levels 1-4 though. I have not inspected the fuse block. I am going to do that in the morning.

Does the fan work on 1-4 when it starts properly with the key?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The problem is still not resolved. I still need your help.

Yes, I need to know if when the fan is working on 1-4, does the truck start normally?