Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  14 years GM dealer Technician.
14928985

Oil pressure on a 2006 chevy alvanche the oil pressure gauge

Customer Question

Customer: ***** ***** oil pressure on a 2006 chevy alvanche the oil pressure gauge was piked out and now I get low oil pressure/
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: the gauge all the way to the right of the gauge it has been like for about a week. I was about to change the sending unit I drove to store and now I get low oil pressure. I have the sending unit to replace and now it saying low oil pressure.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Chevy Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Chevy
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
hello anybody there?
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

What does the oil pressure gauge read now is it still reading high or reading low with the engine running?

Is the engine making any noises at all when running?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
no noise when it idle it reads low, when you press on the gas it peaks out to the right max reading.
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

O.k.,with what is described here that is occuring and since you have no engine noises with this fault here this sounds like you have an internal electrical fault with the engine oil pressure sender itself.This is the most common cause for this issue here.I have had to replace this sensor several times before for this issue.The other fault can be the instrument cluster itself at fault internally needing repaired but most common is the oil pressure sensor/sender needing replaced.

The way the cluster is checked is with a scan tool plugged into your vehicle that can communicate with the instrument cluster data list to see what it shows for engine oil pressure.If the instrument clusters data list shows the same as the way the gauge is acting up then the oil pressure sensor needs replaced.If it shows a correct reading with nice smooth oil pressure readings at idle and revved up then the fault is in the instrument cluster needing replaced.

I suspect this is only the oil pressure sensor itself needing replaced to correct this fault here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete