GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

I have an 1995 caprice classic and it just started being

Customer Question

I have an 1995 caprice classic and it just started being hard to crank at times and when I do crank it it runs ok if I keep giving it gas then soon as I put it in drive it immediately shuts off . I have a check engine light on so went to the store and bought one of those gm code reader but when I put it in my ecm my check engine light doesn't flash so I can retrieve a code . Do you know what could be causing this ?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 10 months ago.

Hi, My Name is ***** ***** for posting your question to just answer. I am a independent contractor for just answer, and ASE Certified Master Auto Technician with 20 years experience. I am confident we can resolve your problem together.Please remember I don't know your skill level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies to get to a satisfactory resolution.There will probably be some equipment needed for a proper diagnosis. If you are not comfortable with this or do not have any test equipment please let me know ASAP. I also try to give all of the information you may need expecting a positive rating. I am not compensated for my time until you leave a positive rating. Your rating should be based on the service you received.

With it being a 95 it would not have generic OBD2. If you cross the 2 pins on the top right it should flash the light.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Yeah I tried jumping it off the fans come on but the light doesn't flash it just stays lit

Try starting it and see if it starts flashing. If not it would indicate a possible defective PCM

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It does flash when I crank the car but it's a non stop constant flash

OK. I suggest having the codes read with a professional scanner. You may have a defective PCM. I would like to verify prior to instructing you to replace it.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I will try that by letting a shop scan I because I don't have one myself . Is the Pcm located under the air filter ?

I just thought of something. Have you checked for a blown fuse?

F/P Fuse #2 15 amp

PCM/IGN Fuse #5 10 amp

Fuel Inj Fuse #6 10 amp

Fuel Inj fuse #9 10 amp

Also check the ground at left front of engine

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I haven't check any of those. Are those fuse in the inside or under the hood?

The underhood fuse box

I believe it is in the air cleaner housing.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The fuse box in the air cleaner box or the pcm is ?

Underhood fuse box. PCM in air cleaner housing

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

sorry about the delay I have been sick but I ordered an ob1 scanner and the code that came up was this. code 36 high - res failure. what does this mean and how can I fix it? tnanks

The code description is pretty straight forward. If only code 36 is set replace distributor.

If it set along with codes 41 and/or 42 replace PCM