Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  14 years GM dealer Technician.
14928985

1998 chevy blazer 4.3 The low fuel light is on gas gauge is

Customer Question

Customer: 1998 chevy blazer 4.3 The low fuel light is on gas gauge is on empty, battery light is on and temp gauge stays on cold and the ABS, security lights stay on
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: will
JA: OK got it. Last thing — GM Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $32 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Triston replied 10 months ago.

More than likely you have a bad instrument cluster but to be sure you need a scan tool to check for codes and also to do a gauge sweep test and indicator light test. But I believe replacing the cluster will only fix some of your problems but to be sure you'll need all the codes read with a scan tool. Thanks

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
My genisys scan tool will not connect and all the fuses are good especially the cigarette lighter.
Expert:  Triston replied 10 months ago.

Cool and thanks for the reply. If you have a genisys scanner please a accept a live call so I can help walk you thru this because maybe some thing is wrong with truck communication system.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I'm broke so is my truck
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Is there a wire I can check at the dash plug?
Expert:  Triston replied 10 months ago.

No problem. At the DLC key off you should have less than 5 ohms between 4 and ground and 5 and ground, you should have power between 16 and 4 and 16 and 5. Between terminal 1 you should have a toggling voltage between terminal 4 and 2 between 0 and 7 volts DC.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
4 and ground 9.5ohms 5 and ground 2.0 16 and 4 bat voltage 12.5 16 and 5 bat voltage 12.5 ter 1 not used between 4 and 2 is 1.5 volts
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
This is the readings at the DLC, back to my original question does this have a bearing on why the dash does not work.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Are you still working on my question
Expert:  Triston replied 10 months ago.

It's possible that the reason the cluster isn't working because the readings at the DLC so I'd focus on getting the scanner to communicate first then diagnose the cluster. Even though I'm able I'm going to open your question back up so some other guys can help you get it fixed. Thanks

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 10 months ago.

Hello, do you still need some help with this?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
right now I am doing using a flow chart to figure out why, my scan tool will power up, but not communicate with the ecm. I have an older genisys scan tool. Any help would be appreciated.

Is it the 2 or 4wd and what's the 8th VIN character? ALso have you verified the scanner works on another vehicle?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
2wd w yes

Thanks, ***** ***** double check your readings against this trouble tree to begin

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I checked the scan tool it is working. I checked resistance from DLC16 to 5 with no resistance I need to find the open in sensor ground circuit 451 don't I? It should read 0-5 ohms and doesn't.

16 should be 12v 5 should have continuity to ground. Is there 00-5 ohms between 5 and a good ground? I'll post diagram below.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I used my scan tool on another truck and it works fine. Does the dash not working properly have anything to do with my scan tool not being able to communicate with the blazer.

Yes, the dash and dlc share a ground if I remember correctly.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It was warm today and I checked power at the dlc plug and grounds they checked good. Tomorrow I was going to try to check the class 2 s data wires what should they read continuity or voltage.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Look at this step from my flowchart DLC 16 to 5 should read 0-5 ohms and I get OL. Then it tells me to fix an open in CKT451 but when I checked it from the DLC plug to the BBEC to the UBEC to ground showed no open.
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Has anything after market been wired into your vehicle at all before this issue occurred here?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
no
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

Is the scan tool your using one that is compatible with this model here?Can you post the model of the scan tool and model number for me?

Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

Is the transmission shifting incorrectly as well here with this issue?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Genisys SPX OTC / Transmission is ok. I am working at my truck today.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
system 2.0
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

Is the transmission shifting properly or does it feel like it is hanging up in one or more gears when driving?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I already answered the transmission shifts fine engine and runs great.
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

O.k.,after looking through more of my info on this here I dont show the full diagrams for the DLC.I will have to see if anyone else here can help further and I apologize for this.

I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

O.k.,unfortunately I dont show all of the diagrams for the DLC on this model here and I apologize for this.

Thanks Pete

Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

Thanks Pete