Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech
19513769

, oil pressure dropped to 6lb and engine light can on,

Customer Question

Customer: ***** ***** smith
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: oil pressure dropped to 6lb and engine light can on, chevorlet dealer said that I need any new engine
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Chevy Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry your having this problem

did this happen out of the blue one day ?

can you tell me what year and engine size and model of this vehicle ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2007 Tahoe with 5.8liter engine, has 148000 miles
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

is the engine making noise at all ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no noise engine running ok/ for the last 8 month engine would smoke a little when you first crank engine
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

did the confirm the oil pressure being too low or under spec with a mechanical oil pressure gauge connected to the engine ?

why are they saying it needs a new engine i mean what are they saying is failing or had failed ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
oil pressure low with mechanical oil pressure gauge/was told that it was a internal problem
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

usually with NO engine noise at all this issue will be lower end bearings that have opened up or the oil pump or oil pump pick up tube O-ring failure

dies this engine have cylinder deactivation where it can shut off cylinders when driving for active fuel management ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
has cylinder deactivation
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

what they need to do is test the oil pressure at the bottom end where the oil filter screws on the engine they have screw on oil filter testers for this and see if the oil pressure is still low reading the pressure at the oil filter housing

if it still reading low then its one of the things i said

if it reads GOOD at the filter housing but NOT good top of the engine then the small filter under the oil pressure switch is usually the issue and needs to be changed

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks will call dealer monday
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

sounds good

you can always get me back for FREE any time with any follow up anytime even after you rate us here at Justanswer as i do not get credit for my work until you rate us here

Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

how are you making out ?

dont forget to rate us here at Justanswer as i do not get credit for my work until you rate us here