GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

Just swaped a 97 k1500 5.7 vortec suburban 5.7 vortec. no

Customer Question

Customer: Just swaped a 97 k1500 5.7 vortec for 98 suburban 5.7 vortec. no dash lights and no crank
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Engine won't start or turnover. Starter won't engage. turn the key and nothing. We've checked fuses & battery. We think we have a grounding problem. OBD II sensor say's it can't communicate with engine. Thanks, Steve
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Chevy Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Eddie replied 10 months ago.

Hello, Eddie here and I will try to help. did you check your big amperage fuses out under the hood? When you turn the ign. switch on, does anything work? like power windows if it's got it? or radio? or anything associate with the ign. switch? you get NO dash lights right? not even ABS or BRAKE light?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
we checked the fuses. Radio works. head lights work. No dash lights and no starter
Expert:  Eddie replied 10 months ago.

Alright, I believe it is a wiring short, or open in the harness somewhere then if the ignition switch does power up the radio. But to say where without being able to look at the vehicle would be difficult. I will opt out and if any other experts have a suggestion they can respond then. Thank you.

Expert:  Reggie Whiddon replied 10 months ago.

Hello Reggie here assuming this all worked prior to your engine swap i agree ground wire is likely it, you have 3 i believe at right rear cylinder head and some at the thermostat housing, have you checked them and gone back to your main wire

Another possibility would be a blown fusible link have you checked voltages at all fuses with a voltmeter, you cant look at a fuse link and tell if it is blown

If you will check the voltages, i will be monitoring my inbox i will walk you through finding this right now