Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

My 1987 chevy van was flooded I almost got it started and

Customer Question

My 1987 chevy van was flooded I almost got it started and then it caught fire. I put fire out. Should I try and restart it later?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Eric replied 10 months ago.

HI,

You need to pull the spark plugs and let them dry out for a few hours with it having flooded. They can stay gas soaked for hours upon hours if left inside the spark plug holes and not fire the next time you try.

Once you do that and of course repair any vacuum line or wiring damage from the fire if any were damaged, reinstall the plugs and then crank it.

But again, you do need to pull the plugs and let them air dry first.

Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT today.
Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better.
All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

Expert:  Eric replied 10 months ago.

I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?

If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.

If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page.

Expert:  Eric replied 10 months ago.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?