Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Thinking of buying a Chevy Silverado 1500, 5.3l enginefor

Customer Question

Ian thinking of buying a Chevy Silverado 1500, 5.3l enginefor 2900The brakes are kind of mushy. The truck will stop but you have to push clear to the floor. A mchanic thought it might Needs an ABS valve installed to stiffen the brakes back up (the part costs between $150 and $300 depending where you shop). Recently put $1200 into the brake system, new master cylinder, new lines and fluid, pads and rotors done about 3K miles ago. Tekonsha trailer braking system installed. I Have had 2 new master cylinders. The mechanic thought it needs an abs valve. How much would that typically cost to repair and do you think that could be the problem. Is it worth fixing and buying, or could there be extended problems with 178000 miles. It's been a good truck other tha that
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 10 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). All experts are independent contractors here at Just Answer none are employees, we do not get a paycheck or benefits from JA. We work for the customers. I strive to provide EXCELLENT 5 STAR service, let me know what's needed from me so your pleased.

You can go to kbb.com to see what the value of the truck should be then subtract the cost to fix the brakes. When you get to the condition of the vehicle it should be rated good or fair not excellent. On the brakes, if it has rear drums, then you need to make sure they are adjusted correct, that can be to blame for a pedal going to far down. If they are adjusted correct or it has rear rotors and pads, then your correct the ABS would be the next logical part to blame. About 2.0 hours in labor to replace then bleed the brakes again. To test this you would need a brake system pressure kit to find out where pressure is getting to and where it is being lost or bleeding off.

Thanks for asking your question and letting me try to help you.

If your confused on why or how to rate me, let me know.

I only receive a portion of your deposit when you rate. If you do not rate or rate bad, the website keeps all of the deposit you have already paid.

Follow up/Reply as many times as needed before or after rating.

I like to stay in contact with my customers that appear not pleased, still working on the concern, or have not rated yet. I assume you were not pleased with my help. I hate that you have spent money to get an answer but left not happy. Can you tell me why, or can I help more. If its more help you need just reply and we can pick up where we left off. I am also sending an offer allowing me to upload diagrams or repair guides if that helps.

Thanks Chris