GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

I have a 2004 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD with the 6 L motor.

Customer Question

I have a 2004 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD with the 6 L motor. When I turn the ignition on I'm only getting 2 1/2 V to the ignition e fuse. Also the cluster is not booting up until I start the vehicle and then it's like the alternator takes over and the cluster will boot up. I never did measure the voltage at the ignition e fuse with the engine running. I change the ignition switch and it did not fix the problem. Where should I look now to fix this problem ?
Category: Chevy
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
One more thing the power windows do not work with the key on and the engine off but if you start the vehicle then the power windows work.
Expert:  Randall C replied 10 months ago.

Hello, sorry for the delay, I am having to pull many diagrams and back trace them to see what I can offer to help, Bear with me, doing this as fast as I can, Thanks

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok.

ok, in the same under hood fuse box, can you remove the B/U LP fuse a 20 amp fuse, turn key ON, probe the fuse terminals, I need actual volt readings

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok. I will do that tomorrow when the truck gets back. I will let you know.

ok

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Just a little update on this truck. Now all of a sudden the heater blower motor stopped working along with the interior lights. Are they connected somehow ? He says everything else works.

I cant answer that yet, I asked for a test to be done and was awaiting the reply on my question

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok sorry.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I will have the truck tomorrow at 11 am MT So, I'll be texting you then. Thanks.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok. Maybe my multi meter was not connecting properly. So same problem but I have battery voltage on those 2 fuses.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Could this be a bcm problem ?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok so let me recap. When I turn the ignition to the run position I have no power to the power windows, no cluster, no abs light, no airbag light. Then I start the truck and all this stuff powers up.

Sry for the delay, If still need help, I will have to re read this in the am and start from there. LMK thanks

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I'll wait. I'm thinking I need to start at the ignition switch right ? I have replaced the switch so I know it's not that.