GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

2004 Silverado I changed the battery I the keyless fob and

Customer Question

2004 Silverado I changed the battery I the keyless fob and programed per instrutions on line it work fine but after letting truck sit a few minutes it wouldn't work , if you manually unlock the door it works for a few minutes and stops until you manually unlock it ??
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Reggie Whiddon replied 1 year ago.

Go back and reprogram again but before y ou do disconnect both battery cables and clamp together this will drain the memory of all modules. While cables are clamped together cycle your key through all positions then off then hook up positive first then reprogram again

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
same as before
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've tried it twice no change

You did this after grounding out the positive cable and still no change

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I disconnected the cables and clamped then together both times and no change.

okay do you have access to a scan tool?

And one more question are you using only one key fob?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
only one fob, can have a scan tool tomorrow

Okay the one fob is going to be one of your problems. Programming requires you to have two fobs.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I picked up another fob disconnected the battery clamped cables together cycled the key reconnected the battery cables positive first reprogramed both fobs they worked for a few minutes then stopped until you manually unlock the door then they will work for a few minutes then stop.

I have had cases where they had to be programmed using tech2, did you get the scan tool today?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
have scan tool

what type do you have

We need to access the remote function actuation module, scan for codes and use the scan tool to learn fobs

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
snap on modis

I beleive with there latest software you should be able to do this go into body locate the RFA module check for codes or better yet do a total system scan and see what you got

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
found 2 codes B2600,U1000

B2600 is a problem with your drl but the u1000 that's our concern. Can u access rfa module

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
just so were on the same page your talking the r/h door actuator?

No sir the rfa module that is the module that runs your fobs and door locks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where might it be located

It would be found under the Body section of your scan tool you should see it in menu

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
scan tool does not list a RFA

okay possibly that tool has it listed different, go through each body module and see if you find data for key fobs or learn procedure, its also possible that tool doesnt have the function.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
found fob data procedure shows fobs are programed
Expert:  Reggie Whiddon replied 12 months ago.

Are you saying you got them programmed

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
no same problem

Oh I got you thr module data says there programmed, u should be able to unpair them with the functions menu on the scan tool.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I'm not up on all the acronym's what is the thr module and after I unpair the flobs what then?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
no more help, I didn't know there was a time limit, thanks anyway.
Expert:  Reggie Whiddon replied 11 months ago.

Sir I apologize for the delay. And my bad spelling. What you want to do is unpair the fobs

I am not sure you can do that with your scantool thr rfa or remote function actuation module is where this is down

And there is no limit I'm hear to y ou get it fixed, please understand I am foreman of a very large shop sometimes may take a min before I get back to you

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I don't see anything about unpair in the this scan tool is there another way?

The only thing you can do without a scantoil is the reboot procedure I taught you, in theory that erases any temporarily stored information on a module which would force it to learn new. However anything permanently written would stay and for that you need factory level access to program. Any chance on getting hold of a tech2 scantool

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No tech 2 is there anything else I can do ?

Hi there good to hear back from you I actually thought of you yesterday I had an 08 suburban could not get fobs programed customer had lost keys I wound up replacing the module it was locked. And I hate telling you this but without factory level access to the body control module and the remote function actuation module with the ability to program through the software you have done far more than the average person could. I have a launch that I use that or a tech 2 is about the only ones I know of. If u take it to dealer yours may take new fobs. Or it may need module like mine