Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  14 years GM dealer Technician.
14928985

MY NAME IS ***** *****, I HAVE A 2008 CHEVY SILVERADO 3500HD

Customer Question

Customer: HI MY NAME IS ***** *****, I HAVE A 2008 CHEVY SILVERADO 3500HD WITH 6.0L GAS ENGINE AND AUTO TRANS AND IT STALLS AT STOPS
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: IT ONLY STALLS COLD AND WILL STALL OUT AFTER THE FIRST 2-3 STOPS THEN ITS FINE AFTER THAT, WHEN IT STALLS IT FEELS LIKE THE TRUCK LUNGES FORWARD LIKE IM NOT PUSHING THE CLUTCH IN BUT ITS AN AUTOMATIC
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Chevy Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: SURE WHAT IS A BIT
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Chevy
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
IVE CHANGED THE TRANS FLUID AND FILTER AND I DIDNT SEE ANYTHING IN THE PAN AND THE FLUID LOOKED PRETTY GOOD FOR 160000 MILES, ALSO THE ENGINE RUNS FINE ALL THE TIME AND THERE ARE NO CODES IN THE PCM
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Has anything been done with the throttle body at all for this issue to try and correct it?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
NO I HAVE NOT DONE ANYTHING TO THE THROTTLE BODY
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

O.k.,one of the more common issues that causes this here is carbon build up in the throttle bore.The bore plate will try and close but leave the small air gap to idle properly when coming to a stop.When there is slight carbon build up in the bore or on the bore plate this causes the stall out and can sometimes cause a surge as well as the computer tries to compensate to keep it from stalling out.

If you have not cleaned the throttle body yet I suggest using a shop rag with some cleaner like carburetor or brake cleaner sprayed on the rag to wipe out the throttle bore and bore plate.Then turn on the key without starting the engine for 1 minute then turn it off and repeat one more time.Then start the engine and allow it to idle for one minute.Then drive the vehicle and see if the issue still occurs.

If this does not correct the fault here let me know.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
CLEANED THROTTLE BODY THOUROGHLY, AND CLEARED CODES AND LET SIT OVER NIGHT, TRIED AGAIN THIS MORNING AND TRUCK STILL STALLED AT THE FIRST TWO STOP SIGNS, IM ABOUT 99 PERCENT SURE ITS IN THE TRANS BECAUSE OF THE WAY THE TRUCK JERKS FOWARD WHEN IT STALLS. ARE THERE ANY COMMON ISSUES WITH THE TRANSMISSONS IN THESE TRUCKS, I THINK ITS A 6L90-E IN THIS TRUCK
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

The biggest issue in the transmission that causes this fault here is the torque converter lock up solenoid will engage on its own and locks the torque converter on,this will cause the surge then the load on the engine from the torque converter engaging will cause the stall out here.I have seen this solenoid fail several times before needing replaced.In some cases it may not set a fault code for itself acting up.

If you have not had the fault codes checked to see what codes are set this needs done.If any codes are set the codes set will need to be diagnosed to locate and repair the fault here.This may require the transmission valve body and solenoids to be checked/tested and a transmission fluid pressure test gauge to test more thoroughly to locate and correct this fault.This is usually best done by a dealer or transmission repair facility that works on this model here.You may have a torque converter lock up solenoid fault needing replaced.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
OK SO SOLINOIDS ARE MORE OF AN ISSUE ON THESE THAN THE TORQUE CONVERTER ITS SELF? I HAVE NOT HAD ANY FAULT CODES SET FOR THIS ISSUE, I HAD AN EVAP VENT VALVE CODE THAT I REPAIRED BUT THERE ARE NO OTHER CODES. JUST TO ADD ONE OTHER THING AS FAR AS SYMPTOM BECAUSE I ONLY HAVE A SHORT WINDOW TO VERIFY CONCERN AND MONITOR PIDS IS THAT AFTER IT STALLS IT WILL START RIGHT BACK UP AND I CAN PUT IT IN DRIVE AND I ONLY NEED TO DRIVE 10 FEET OR GO 5 MPH AND THEN HIT THE BRAKE AND I WILL STALL EVERY TIME AS SOON AS I COME TO A COMPLETE STOP, AFTER RUNNING FOR ABOUT 2-3 MINS THE CONCERN GOES AWAY. I THINK WERE ON THE RIGHT TRACK BUT JUST ONE MORE QUESTION, DO YOU KNOW IF THESE SOLINOID FAULTS SEEM TO BE AFFECTED BY TEMPATURE.
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

I have seen some of the torque converters act up so I wouldnt rule it out but the solenoid that controls it is more common usually.The solenoids are electronically activated and then hydraulic fluid passes through them.Temperature can play a part in the solenoids acting up if you have a weak or failing solenoid causing this here.

I am still leaning on a possible issue with the torque converter clutch lock up solenoid as the fault or a possible issue with the torque converter itself.In some cases the actual valve body can develop debris in it and clog up passages and cause fluid pressure and fluid flow issues in the transmission and cause odd issues as well.I have had some luck flushing the transmission fluid out with a flush machine and adding new fluid as it is flushed to free up and remove debris from the transmission to correct some faults so this is an option that can be attempted.

Other then this,this will have to be tested further to pinpoint and repair the cause here.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here.

Thanks Pete