Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  14 years GM dealer Technician.
14928985

Sure

Customer Question

Sure
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Can you describe to me the fault that is occuring with this issue here?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Blinker fuse blows. I believe it is related to stepping on brakes. I have tried using higher number fuse and then flasher unit under dash or signal switch in colmn fries. Is there a way to install a resistor in a wire so that whatever is causing a buildup of amperage can be mitigated by the resistor? Gone thru numerous signal switches, flasher units and fuses
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Are u there
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

I apologize for the delay.

Is this issue only occuring when the brakes are applied or does it occur when the turn signals are on as well?

Is anything after market installed on your vehicle here?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
We have had the blinker switch turned on for hours with no problem. It seems to blow fuse when the brakes are applied.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
There are no after market items installed. There is a trailer hitch harness that has the connector cut off the end ( trailer side) and the wires are bundled together with tape wrapped around them. The tape is old and brittle. I have not taken that apart yet.
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

O.k.,one last thing is this the 20 amp Stp/Haz fuse that is shorting out?Or the 15 amp Turn-B/U fuse?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
15 amp. Fuse box codes are attached
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I am sorry it is a 20 amp fuse.
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

O.k.,is it the 20 amp turn/bu fuse or the 20 amp stop/hazard fuse?Knowing which one it is for sure here will help.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
but it is the turn b-u. Its fuse location #16 on the guide I sent u
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

O.k.,looking at the diagram on this fuse here and with what is occuring unfortunately there is no way to install a resistor or bypass this here and it isnt recommended to install a higher amperage fuse as this can damage the wiring the fuse is on or any other components the fuse feeds.

What will cause this short and is most common is the trailer wiring itself.Even if the wiring is cut off it may be corroded or may be shorting to the body or shorting wiring together causing this here.I would start with checking the trailer wiring to see if any wiring is found to be shorted or damaged in any way needing repaired.

If the trailer wiring is found to be o.k. then the wiring will need traced from the fuse itself to see if any shorts are found.The fuse feeds the turn signal switch and then to the turn hazard flasher then from the flasher back into the switch then from the switch out to the lights.I suspect you have a shorted wiring needing repaired.Here is some diagram info on this here.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/is4jsi3qzkb8f5x/d-01-20.gif?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ob5xjc9evb2y8vt/di-01-20.gif?dl=0

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
There are two orange wires under the steering column that appear to be taped together. Pic attached. That seems strange. The duct tape binding all four ends of orange wires together appears to be old and brittle.
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

These look like main power/ignition wires and may have been tapped into previously for an after market alarm or for a remote start that may have been installed at one point and then removed.Since you do have taped up wiring like this here I would inspect all wiring under the column for any damage needing repaired as well as the trailer wiring.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
would there be two distinctly different orange wires wired together like that? That seems very strange.
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

Usually not.Usually one orange will lead to another orange and the other the same but usually not splices together like this here.This does look like someone has installed some kind of an electronic at one point and spliced these together to splice in what they had wired in.If you can tell me what they lead to I can see what I can find on them

Thanks Pete