Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  14 years GM dealer Technician.
14928985

, Stabiltrak light on check engine light on traction

Customer Question

Customer: ***** *****,
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Stabiltrak light on check engine light on traction control light on and ticking sound
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Chevy Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: i changed all the plugs yesterday still doing the same.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Can you tell me the year,make and model of your vehicle as well as engine size?

Have you had the fault codes checked or has anything been done on the vehicle to try and locate or repair the fault at all here?

Was anything after market added to your vehicle before this issue occurred?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
2008 Suburban LTZ
Random Misfire code , traction control light on stabiltrak light on check engine light on, ticking noise
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

Is this a constant ticking noise at the same time the misfire occurs?

Has anything been checked,tested or replaced for this fault here at all?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
constant ticking, I replace all the spark plugs yesterday
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

Does this model have the 5.3 liter engine?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
5.3 afm
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

O.k.,this is a common fault unfortunately.One of the active fuel management lifters has collapsed or is not locking in place.This causes a misfire and the ticking noise and is fairly common.GM has even released a bulletin on this fault bulletin number #PIP4568Q.

There is updated programming for the engine computer that has to be done by a GM dealer and the affected lifter(s) need replaced.On some models the AFM shield/engine oil pan has to be replaced with the updated setup.This is also included in this bulletin here.

I own a 2007 with the same engine and dread when this fails on mine which will probably occur soon.The cylinder heads have to be removed in order to replace them and I recommend replacing all lifters when this is done to prevent any future failures that would require the engine to be taken apart again for repair.

The cost can run around $50 per lifter and 12.6 hours labor plus the cost for oil and oil pan if needed as well as engine coolant and an extra hour labor for programming the computer.

This was a great design to save fuel but also a bad design when these fail unfortunately.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete