BOBBYSS
BOBBYSS, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, AA DEGREE AUTO/DIESEL TECH
1627031

How can I tell if my 1999 Chevrolet Suburban 1500LT needs a

Customer Question

How can I tell if my 1999 Chevrolet Suburban 1500LT needs a new transmission or if it is a vacuum leak?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 10 months ago.

Hello, my name is Bobby. Thank you for the question. There is a big difference between a vacuum leak and a transmission failure. Can you tell me what the vehicle is doing.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Up until a week ago, everything seemed fine. I was driving the vehicle on the side streets with no problem, but when I got on the highway, it would take forever to shift from 2nd to 3rd and did so only with great effort. The vehicle wouldn't shift into 4th at all. I stopped and checked the fluid levels and all looked fine, but the vehicle kept exhibiting the same behavior.
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 10 months ago.

Thank you. When you say it would take forever to shift would the engine rev really high before it shifted or did the engine seem to lack power and that would delay the shift?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It would rev really high between 2nd and 3rd and then it seems like the engine made a terrific effort and it would shift to 3rd.
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 10 months ago.

Thank you. From what you are saying it does sound like the transmission may be failing. If the fluid in the transmission looks perfectly fine and is not dark at all then it may not need a complete transmission. It may be a problem with the pressure due to a valve body problem. A valve body is a much cheaper repair. A faulty air flow sensor or a bad throttle position sensor can also cause this. These would need to be monitored with a scan tool to see what they are reading to determine if they are causing it.