Roy
Roy, import/domestic specialest
Experience:  ASE master tech for 40 years
3506196

Engine surging at idle when pressing on the gas
, I

Customer Question

Customer: Engine surging at idle when pressing on the gas
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I changed the TPS Idle control module and checked for leaks at the intake manifold.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Chevy Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 10 months ago.

Hello, my name is Bobby. Can you tell me what kind of vehicle this is? Is the check engine light coming on?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
1997 Chevy Venture no check engine light
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 10 months ago.

Thank you. Does the engine run fine at higher speeds?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
it does
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 10 months ago.

Thank you. Most of the time this is caused by a vacuum leak. The most common vacuum leak occurs on the bottom side of the intake manifold gasket. In some cases you can pull the oil filler cap when the engine is running and see if there is a large amount of vacuum. If there is then there is a leak. If not then it may be a failing MAP sensor or this can even occur if the engine needs a tune up, though that is not nearly as likely.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thanks so much
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 10 months ago.

No problem. If you need anything else please let me know.

Expert:  Roy replied 10 months ago.

good morning my name is ***** ***** I will assist

just wanted to add from what Bobby gave you. EGR valve having carbon on the pindle is also a common issue with this problem. you can remove the valve easily and check the bottom for any chunks of carbon.

Roy