GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

I installed a new intake on my my 1994 Chevy 5.7 and now it

Customer Question

I installed a new intake on my my 1994 Chevy 5.7 and now it starts just fine but runs supper rich and falls on its face when I put it in gear drive it.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Reggie Whiddon replied 10 months ago.

What do you have the timing set at? Do you have any codes, and the map sensor does it have a good supply of vacuum to it, do you have a scanner can we check data or codes

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi Reggie, sorry about not getting back sooner I've been really busy, I'll check the vacuum on the map sensor tomorrow , the timing is set at o degrees b. t. c. doesn't seem to make any difference if I advance it except the idle changes and the ocasional back fire,lots blue white smoke really lodes up at idle, can we check the codes with a scanner if the check engine light isn't on, if so I'll get a scanner. Thanks 4 your patients and hope to hear from you soon. Ed

Yes we need to check the codes and also I'd like to know whst some of the data is reading, and when u set the timing did you put it in bypass mode by disconnecting the Tan wire black stripe?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I disconnected the tan and black wire, then I get the service engine soon light, but no light when I reconnect it.The people at oreily"s said they can't read the codes unless the light is on,I'll go ahead and get a code reader from them , might take a day or so but I will let you know when I get it? Thanks again.

Sir dont do that on yours you can put a paper clip between two terminals and the check engine light will flash codes for you it does it using a fast flash slow flash example flash flash flash would be code 21

Its the two that are beside each other

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
K, I will give that a try, I'll let you know how that goes.

Okay sir I'll be waiting

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi Reggie, I ran the code as you suggested , the only code it gave me was 21, which I understand is the tips out of range, I just had the Tbi rebuilt and the sensor looks new. The vacuum to the map sensor has plenty of vacuum. So I hope you can help me from here. Thanks. ed
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The light flashes long, long, short, then very long pause and then repeats , I think that means 21