Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  A.S.E. Master Technician, Advanced Level, Emissions - Asian, Domestic, & European
19298667

2004 Malibu maxx. Ran yesterday no issues. Interstate

Customer Question

Customer: ***** *****. 2004 Malibu maxx. Ran yesterday no issues. Interstate battery new 12/14. Today, no electric at all when ignition switch turned (no dash, no lights, nothing). Put charger on it....electric wakes up. Fault code P1518 comes up on meter (maybe false because of power situation??). Does this point at anything besides battery??
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: What kind of details.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Chevy Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Ya, no rush....AAA is on the way and they will confirm the battery...just not a patient person :)
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 1 year ago.

Hi there. Welcome to our site!

I agree with you on P1518 probably being caused by lack of electrical power.

I suggest recharging the battery so it reads a full 12.6 volts after after a load test. Start the engine and rev it to 2000 RPM. Turn on hi beams and A/C. Then measure voltage across battery negative post and alternator pole (where the big Red wire goes). Record that voltage and then measure across battery positive post and engine block. Both voltages should be above 13. If not, there is a charging system problem that needs further diagnosis.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Best Regards.