Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

This is ***** *****.
, 2002 S10 Pickup 4X4 VIN

Customer Question

Customer: This is ***** *****.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: 2002 S10 Pickup 4X4 VIN 1GCDT19W128109352 NP 233C transfer case.4X4 mode shift not working in 4Hi or 4Lo. Range shift in 4Lo does work. No DTC codes stored. I can hear the TCCM relays click and the Shift Motor move when dash buttons are pushed. Indicator lights for 2HI, 4Hi, 4Lo work as expected when button is depressed.I have repaired all the vacuum system. New vacuum switch, some vacuum lines. Front axle is locking. With all four wheels of the ground and in 4Hi or 4Lo, I have no power from the transfer case to the front differential.I drove around a little bit in 4Hi and it did engage at some point during the test drive. Not sure when or why but it was engaged when I got home (maybe 5 mile test drive).Questions:1. Can the shift motor or TCCM be the problem if no DTC codes, dash indicator lights normal and can hear shift motor move?2. With all four wheels off the ground, should I have power from the transfer case when in 4Hi? My best guess is to replace the shift motor. If that doesn’t fix the problem, then probably it is something inside the transfer case.Any suggestions?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Chevy Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Yes, I can wait.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 10 months ago.

Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.

I will do my best to assist you.

from the way you explain the problem,it does sound as if you may have a bad/sticking transfer case actuator motor.it sounds as if it may be weak or the case is stiff.

try this,remove the shift motor and manually shift the transfer case through the gears with a crescent wrench,then re-install the shift motor,also check the transfer case fluid to make sure it is full.

these can get stiff from a lack of use,.if this doesnt fix your problem,i would think it will need a new shift motor,understand it is common to get a bad new shift motor for these,i have had to install 2 or 3 before getting a good one

thanks

PLEASE COPY AND PASTE the link below to your browser, I have uploaded more info on this there please copy and paste the link below to your main browser[INTERNET EXPLORER or FIREFOX]

.

www.dropbox.com/s/r06ej9znd1rmewi/0117-s10-4x4-Transfer%20Case%20Fluid%20Replacement.doc?dl=0&preview=0117-s10-4x4-Transfer+Case+Fluid+Replacement.doc

.

if the link doesn’t work that way, try it this way

thanks

.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/r06ej9znd1rmewi/0117-s10-4x4-Transfer%20Case%20Fluid%20Replacement.doc?dl=0&preview=0117-s10-4x4-Transfer+Case+Fluid+Replacement.doc

.

If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feed back ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi Tim, I did as you suggested. Topped off the fluid and cycled the transfer case with a crescent wrench. The transfer case seemed to shift OK although I don't now what "normal" would be. Another test drive but 4WD still not working. I then removed the front drive shaft and shift motor again. This time I raised the rear wheels and started the engine and put the transmission in drive. I shifted the transfer case with the crescent wrench and I did get power to the front output spline in 4Hi and no power in 2Hi. I did not try 4Lo. Based on this, I have ordered a new shift motor. I'll keep you posted what happens when this new part arrives.

yes,i would think the problem is the shift motor actuator..

thanks