Vladgmru
Vladgmru, Automotive Electrician
Experience:  I've been working with American made cars since 1992.
12883947

2001 Tahoe LT .I changed the entire steering wheel and air

Customer Question

2001 Tahoe LT .I changed the entire steering wheel and air bags and all electric parts around there. And put the old ignition switch on the new steering wheel. Now the truck doesn't turn on.Note!The key doesn't have a chip.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Vladgmru replied 10 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.

My name is Vlad.

There is a Passlock sensor located within the steering column ignition cylinder housing and that is the reason it won't start after replacing the steering column.

You will need to perform a re-learn procedure . There are two options :

1) 10 minutes relearn with a scan tool ( i believe you do not have am appropriate scan tool)

2) 30 minutes relearn procedure without scan tool. Please see below:

30 Minute Learn Procedure

1.Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
2.Attempt to start the engine, then release the key to ON, vehicle will not start.
3.Observe the SECURITY telltale, after approximately 10 minutes the telltale will turn OFF.
4.Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds.
5.Repeat steps 1 through 4 two more times for a total of 3 cycles/30 minutes, the vehicle is now ready
to relearn the Passlock(TM) Sensor Data Code and/or passwords on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK.
IMPORTANT: The vehicle learns the Passlock(TM) Sensor Data Code and/or password ***** the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK. You must turn the ignition OFF before attempting to start the vehicle.
6.Start the engine, the vehicle has now learned the Passlock(TM) Sensor Data Code and/or password. 7.With a scan tool, clear any DTCs if needed, history DTCs will self clear after 100 ignition cycles.