Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

87 Corsica 2.0. Occasional starter fluid starts needed.

Customer Question

Customer: 87 Corsica 2.0. Occasional starter fluid starts needed. Intermitent weak power, hesitation, dead spot in pedal. Drive a bit and it corrects.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Occasional starter fluid starts needed and occasional weak response from pedal with hesitation. Self corrects after a bit of gentle throttle management.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Chevy Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Chevy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Fuel Pressure checked OK.
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.

I will do my best to assist you

does the engine light stay on?if so,can you give me the computer codes?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No Codes, acting like MAP or Crank Sensor.

does it do this when the engine is hot or cold?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hot or cold. Intermittent. No preconditions to cause the no start issue or the stumble and lack of power condition. Both are intermittent. At idle, when I manually crack the throttle, it will stall sometimes too, like there is no additional fuel being sent to the cylinders

and the engine light never stays on?

how much fuel pressure does it have?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No Check engine light. Fuel pressure was in spec. We put a Schrader valve in line on a cus***** *****ne by the TB and put a gauge on it.

ok,,what was the psi?how much psi when turning the starter?how much when giving it throttle when it hesitates?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Don't have the numbers with me. Will confirm numbers tomorrow. What conditions do you want to know the numbers for so I can check each one?

i want to know how much pressure it has while turning the starter when it wont start

i also want to know how much it has when the engine is acting up

also,i would like to know if it has a fuel injector pulse when turning the starter when it wont start

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The injector does squirt when it wont start. But still needs a squirt of starting fluid to get it to run. Again, this is an intermittent condition. I will check start fuel pressure and bad run pressure if I can get it to do it while stationary.

ok,,let me know on the fuel pressure

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did not have time for fuel pressure check today. I did put in a good battery and swapped the MAP sensor. So far starting and running very well. We will be testing it frequently this week to establish reliability and if that fixed it. I will still check fuel pressure when I have a minute. Still deer season here!

it is possible the map causing this.

good luck hunting,season is over here

thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK did it again. Went in to the low power hesitation mode. Low/No throttle ran ok would pull from stop at idle. Open the throttle off idle and no power at all. Dead spot from just off idle to WOT. I was in front of the shop when it happened so we put the Fuel Pres Gauge on it. Would not start. Start prime pressure was 15, then settled waiting for key. Start pressure was 15 and run pressure was 15. Pump, filter, injector and FPR diaphragm all replaced. Injector squirts, but unless you add starting fluid spray, it wont crank. Sprayed starter fluid, then it cranked. Once cranked it was still in the low power mode with 15 PSI Fuel Pressure. If you baby it a little while she will eventually recover to normal ops. Takes a few minutes and some gentle pedal manipulation before it recovers.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am thinking Crank Sensor.......It has a new OPSU as well....
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, swapped CPS.....still doing it. Ignition module? ECU?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Swapped fuel pump relay too...still has the issue.

i would think from the way you explain,,that it is the ignition module,,

thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yeah, I am sort of there too. I have a bench ECU so I will try that tomorrow. If that does not correct it, then I think I am at ICM...

yes,,let me know how it gos

thanks