GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

My name is ***** ***** I'm trying to discover an issue I am

Customer Question

Customer: Hi Doug, My name is ***** ***** I'm trying to discover an issue I am having with my 2000 Chevy Blazer 4.3 liter
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: About a month ago on a long trip my vehicle started making a banging noise while accelerating. If I was idling or stopping the noise went away. Also a short stop at the gas station made it go away. It was hard to say if it was in the front or rear of vehicle. This only happened twice and I don't know if it is related to my current problem. Last week the vehicle died shortly after leaving home, approximately 5 miles. I was driving it when it died and it wouldn't start again. I could hear it cranking but wouldn't start. The vehicle has always had some type of drain on the battery. I was unable to jump it and ended up towing it home. I had the alternator and battery tested and the battery had a bad cell. After replacing it I am now having an issue starting. The vehicle turns over but is violently rocking/cranking the engine, sounds like the belt is loose but it isn't. The belt is making squeaking noises as it starts moving and stops suddenly again. No idea what to check next.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Chevy Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Sure
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 10 months ago.

I am sorry for the long wait

so the engine will physically crank over no problem at all and you see the belt spinning as the engine fully is cranking over ?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The engine isn't cranking the way it should be. It isn't a consistent crank but more like it is choking on something and dry heaving. While it is cranking, between this choking action, the belt is spinning without problem. I also just noticed that when the key is in the IGN&ACC position the battery light is still on. It wasn't having this starting problem before the battery went bad.
Expert:  Gary replied 10 months ago.

but my concern is also that this truck died on you when driving it and it has not started since

if you unplug the coil out of the coil and crank it will it stop choking when cranking it over ?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Coil out of the coil? I'm not sure what you are asking me to do.
Expert:  Gary replied 10 months ago.

coil wire out of the coil i ment

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I'm still having the same problems and it has a burning smell with black smoke coming out of the exhaust.
Expert:  Gary replied 10 months ago.

ok this is the first i am hearing about black smoke and a burning smell out the exhaust

does it stop doing this with the coil wire unplugged ?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Removing the coil wire did not change anything. It was someone outside of the vehicle that alerted me that there was black smoke coming from the exhaust. When I went to the rear of the car I smelt the burning smell. I'm not sure if that just happened or was happening the other 4 or 5 times I tried to start it.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 10 months ago.

I am thinking perhaps your timing chain jumped a tooth. If you haven't touched the distributor yet, you could check. First thing though you will have to line up the timing mark on the front crankshaft damper with zero top dead center. It don't matter right now, if it's intake or exhaust stroke for #1 cause either the rotor will be facing #1 on the cap or facing #4 if it was the exhaust stroke. If the rotor isn't facing either #1 or #4 on the cap and a little off, the timing chain may have jumped a tooth, you could confirm this with an engine compression test on a few cylinders.