Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  14 years GM dealer Technician.
14928985

1998 6.5 turbo diesel stalled and will not restart
, it

Customer Question

Customer: ***** *****, 1998 6.5 turbo diesel stalled and will not restart
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: it stalled,while driving when I backed off accelerator, it started 2 times,and stalled. the next morning it started and drove about 100 yards,and stalled again and will not start.I added diesel 911,and changed fuel filter,and bled system.still no luck
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Chevy Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

If the outside temp where you are located is around 0 degrees or colder the fuel may be gelled up in the fuel tank.In some cases this will occur and the tank will need to be warmed with the vehicle parked in an warm garage or similar and an anti gelling agent added to the fuel tank to correct this here.If this was already checked into or done and did not correct the fault here let me know so we can continue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The temperature has been above 32 for 3 days
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Have you had the fault codes checked at all to see if any codes are set?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have 1 code that i have had for months,for a fuel temp sensor high input
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

On the drivers side frame rail towards the rear near the fuel tank there is a small fuel lift pump.When you turn on the key or crank over the engine is this pump felt or heard to run at all?If not or even if it is if you remove the fuel outlet line leading from the pump to the engine and turn on the key or crank over the engine does the pump pump out any fuel?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The lift pump is working,i took out the pump relay,and jumped it to bleed the fuel line,and you can hear it running
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Are any electronics acting up in the vehicle or not coming on at all with this issue here?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Everything else seems to be working fine
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

O.k.,I dont see this as a glow plug issue because the engine would not have stalled so most likely the glow plug control is o.k.One common component I have seen fail and cause this type of fault here is the fuel injection pump.It can fail or act up suddenly like this here causing this issue.The injection pump should be tested to see if it is faulty.If found to be weak or no pressure at all from it then the injection pump will need removed and repaired or replaced.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What is the best way to test it?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

My info isnt showing a test procedure on this here unfortunately.Usually in most cases the pump pressure has to be tested by a diesel repair facility that tests and repairs the pumps.There was a bulletin or recall released on this model here where GM extended the warranty coverage for the pump failure but it only covered 11 years from the vehicle build date (which yours is out of now).The pump is a common failure component that can cause this here.I would check with a diesel repair facility to see what they charge to test it.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your time
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Your welcome.If you need anything else let me know and feel free to rate my help.

Thanks Pete