Roy
Roy, import/domestic specialest
Experience:  ASE master tech for 40 years
3506196

I have a 90 Chevy suburban diesel. My transmission shifts

Customer Question

I have a 90 Chevy suburban diesel. My transmission shifts hard and does not shift until about 4000 rpm. How do I troubleshoot it?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Roy replied 10 months ago.

good evening my name is ***** ***** I will assist

make sure the shift cable is still attached to the linkage on the injector pump. reach down with your finger and make sure the cable can move freely. you should be able to pull on it and feel resistance from this.

the other possibility is the governor in the trans. there is a cover on the side of the transmission that you can remove. it is on the drivers side toward the rear of the trans. the governor just pulls out. examine the plastic gear on the end for damage. it usually dishes or wears in the center and does not turn with the tailshaft.

Roy

Expert:  Roy replied 10 months ago.

how are you making out