Mike S.
Mike S., Chevy Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician
20625509

2007 Impala - Remote start just clicks, try ignition and

Customer Question

2007 Impala - Remote start just clicks, try ignition and nothing happens, but the check engine light comes on, the locks try to cycle and I cannot remove key un til it stops
Category: Chevy
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
now I cannot remove the key from the ignition
Expert:  Mike S. replied 11 months ago.

Do you have a voltmeter to check the voltage on the battery?

Expert:  Mike S. replied 11 months ago.

If so, let me know what the voltage is when the key is off, what the voltage is with the key on run and finally what it is with the key on start.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
In my trunk which I cannot open. I just replace the battery last year
Expert:  Mike S. replied 11 months ago.

Do you have a battery charger or can you get a jump start from someone else's vehicle using jumper cables?

Expert:  Mike S. replied 11 months ago.

Why won't the trunk open?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
no key access...just trunk switch. Just got jump and it started....
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It sat for 2 days in ice and snow...think that had something to do with it? Should I leave running to see if charging?
Expert:  Mike S. replied 11 months ago.

now not no. Sorry, my edit tool isn't working right now.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 11 months ago.

Ok, measure the voltage of the battery while reving the engine to about 2,000 rpm.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 11 months ago.

Yes, leave it running unless you want to have to jump start it again.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 11 months ago.

If the alternator is working let it run for at least 30 minutes. Then shut it off and see if the starter cranks the engine over fast enough to start. If it does, let it run for a few minutes then shut it off. Then we will have to find out what went wrong. You may have either left something on, the alternator isn't charging or there is a drain on the battery.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
the voltage is about 14 -14.1 volts across the terminals...still running tho. Haven't tried to re-crank yet
Expert:  Mike S. replied 11 months ago.

The alternator is working, that's good.

Do you want to shut the engine off now or wait to test? Can you get another jump start if you have to?

Expert:  Mike S. replied 11 months ago.

Actually you should use an ammeter when testing for a drain, so if you don't have one now, just let the engine run till you get one, or if you must drive t the auto-parts store or where ever and get one, usually an inexpensive $7 multimeter with have an ammeter. You need something that will rear around 50mA DC and more.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 11 months ago.

While the engine is running go around the vehicle and check to make sure nothing electrical was left on.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 11 months ago.

Make sure you check those battery terminal connections, too for being loose. Brag each with your hand and try real hard to twist both of them. If you can twist either of them even a little bit, it is too loose.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 11 months ago.

When it comes time to check for a battery drain, disconnect the negative battery terminal end and place the ammeter in series with the disconnected cable with the negative test lead on the negative battery post and the positive test lead on the end of the negative battery cable for correct polarity of the ammeter. Turn everything off, remove the key and shut the door and close the hood enough o put out the light if it does have a light or just remove the bulb for now.

Wait 20 minutes or so for all the modules to go to sleep, then read the ammeter. It should be lower than 50 mA, that's 0.050 amps. If not, start removing the fuses one at a time and leave them out until the drain drops below that 50 mA. Then let me know which fuses allowed the drop below 50 mA, if it comes down to this.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 11 months ago.

If you do decide to get to an auto-parts store have them load test that battery while it's still in the vehicle.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Checked and recranked...everything seems fine. Even remote start is working.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 11 months ago.

Ok, something was probably left on then.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 11 months ago.

To be safe though you should still test for a drain.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 11 months ago.

Are we done or are you going to test for a drain?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
We are done. Thanks!
Expert:  Mike S. replied 11 months ago.

Ok, don't forget to rate me well, so I get credit. Thanks!

Expert:  Mike S. replied 11 months ago.

JustAnswer® is not a free service. I work hard to make sure you're satisfied with my service and I only get credit for my answers based on your rating. Once you're satisfied, please leave a positive rating.