Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

My name is. slipping in third gear only. will shift at gher

Customer Question

Customer: my name is ***** ***** in third gear only. will shift at higher r.p.m. 2001 chevy s10, 4.3. just changed fluid slowly and changed filter. transmission has around 80,000 on it. No medal in pan. a.t.f. was way pass due service life and low.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: what are u looking for? shifts fine in all gears but when going into third it revs hi untill about 4500 r.p.m. then shifts. truck is only throwing a 02 sensor code.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Chevy Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 10 months ago.

Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.

I will do my best to assist you

if that 4l60e transmission is shifting as if it gos into neutral when it is time to shift to third,the problem is internal.

the 3-4 clutches are burning out.

i would also think that soon it will also loose the 4th gear.

there is no easy fix for this.

the transmission will need to be rebuilt or replaced,sorry

thanks

If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feedback ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help.