Mike S.
Mike S., Chevy Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician
20625509

My1999 ***** ***** engine will not crank over at times.

Customer Question

Customer: My1999 Monte ***** ***** engine will not crank over at times. Headlights are bright and do not dim while turning the key to start. I have noticed that the security light flashes. Thought it was the starter (187,000 miles), so I replaced it. Thank you for your time. Mike
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Car will start numerous times in a row. Remove key and try later, car will act like battery is dead (no sound from starter, but headlights remain bright), remove key and try sometime later and car will start.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Chevy Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

It does sound like a security issue. Do you have a different key that you can use and try?

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

JustAnswer® is not a free service. I work hard to make sure you're satisfied with my service and I only get credit for my answers based on your rating. Once you're satisfied, please leave a positive rating.