BOBBYSS
BOBBYSS, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, AA DEGREE AUTO/DIESEL TECH
1627031

I have a 2004 venture. Problem on hand is no heat. Replaced

Customer Question

Customer: My name is***** have a 2004 venture. Problem on hand is no heat. Replaced the thermo at first and then the water pump by friend mechanic. It seemed it worked but then after 3 to 5 ***** *****, heat is gone.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Engine temp seems fluctuating. It goes over heated and settled down to normal. Then comes back again ... the overheat temp and no heat. Friend mechanic now has the impression bad head gasket. He suggested changed the engine(119,000 ***** *****). Cheaper this way than put new gasket. Is he right?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Chevy Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is Bobby. Thank you for the question. If it ha a blown head gasket then that will cause the temperature to fluctuate and can cause air to enter the heater core and keep the heater from working. If it is a head gasket it is always cheaper to replace the gaskets instead of the entire engine. You are typically looking at about a $1000-2000 difference. I hope this helps. If you need more help please let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Bob, thanks for the reply. So you think it's a head gasket thing after replacing the thermo and water pump to cause this "no heat issue and engine temp fluctuations " issues?
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 1 year ago.

that is what it sounds like to me as it is common in this engine. I typically perform a block test first to verify this. Any shop can do this test.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If its confirm head gasket is the cause, what can you say about blue devil sealant?
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 1 year ago.

That and the Bars Leak with carbon fiber are decent quick fixes but they are not long term.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I have a dealer mechanic appointment this friday...will let you know how it goes..
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 1 year ago.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance. Have a great rest of your day. Please rate my service when you have time also. Thank you.