Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Chevrolet Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification
11042942

I have a 99 suburban that the turn signal fuse blows most

Customer Question

Customer: I have a 99 suburban that the turn signal fuse blows most every time I put in reverse
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Turn signals work fine as long as I do not use reverse sometimes it will let me use reverse several times before fuse blows other times it blows right away
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Chevy Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: sure thing
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Chevy
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I squared away payment just waiting
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 11 months ago.

The turn signal fuse powers the reverse light circuit. The reverse switch is built into the transmission range switch on the side of the transmission. The light green wire coming out of the switch runs to the reverse lights. Since the problem is intermittent, it may be harder to track down. My suggestion is to inspect the wiring near the transmission, near both taillight assemblies, and at the trailer wiring harness (may be routed above spare tire). Look for any signs of pinched wires or chafing of the harness, particularly the light green wire.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
ok thanks I will check that out. I just thought it odd to sometimes blow immediate and other times intermittent

Harness is likely shifting around and shorting at some times and not at others. For that reason, looking at components that can move (transmission harness and trailer wiring harness) is where I would start the inspection.