Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  14 years GM dealer Technician.
14928985

Why does my gh beam switch engage the starter when the truck

Customer Question

why does my high beam switch engage the starter when the truck is off
Category: Chevy
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
2006 chevy duramax 2500 hd crew cab 4x4
if the truck is off and I pull in the high beam switch it engages the starter, it also has very dim lights besides the pass reg beam.
all are on at the same time.
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

If there is a short in the wiring at the steering column to where the multi function switch (high beam lever switch) and ignition switch wiring is shorting out together at the steering column or under the dash where the main 40 way connector is below the steering column this will cause this here.The ignition switch and multi function switch wiring need checked for any shorts or issues and if a fault is found the wiring will need repaired to correct this fault here.

The only other reason I would see is,if there is an after market remote start system installed it may be shorting out with its wiring or its control unit/ecu causing this here needing removed or repaired or the complete after market system replaced.

This will have to be checked into further to locate which component is the cause here for sure and once this has been done then it can be repaired from there.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete