Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  14 years GM dealer Technician.
14928985

Names Al. Having same difficulty with front door locks on

Customer Question

Customer: hi names Al. Having same difficulty with front door locks on 2002 Astro. After a heavy rain the front door locks are frozen, can't even mechanically open the doors or manually unlock. Sliding door and rear window and door locks work on the remote but not the fronts. Any ideas? Fuse?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: All other power works, cig lighter, power front windows radio all heaters and AC and wipers and lights work. Don't know where the remote actuator box is however.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Chevy Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: sure
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

Hi Al my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

When you try and lock or unlock the front doors do you hear any sounds inside the front doors or see any lock movement at all?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
When I manually attempt to unlock there is no sound and no movement. When I hit unlock I hear the rear and side actuators and from the front door area I think I'm hearing a faint tick. No lock movement seen by using remote. When I lock via remote the side and back lock and the horn toots but no sound or movement from the front locks.
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

And this only occurred after a rain am I correct or was this an issue before as well?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
no it never happened before and it did coincide with a heavy rain and the next morning the battery was dead so I recharged it yesterday. I thought that the lock jamming might have kept the juice going and draining the battery over night but i just started the van and it started right up.
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

Is there freezing temps where you are located?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
High 30's only at night. Mid 60's daytime
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

I apologize for the delay.

Is there any way you can remove one of the door panels and check the lock actuator and see if it seized up.It should move with the lock rod disconnected from it.Let me know if you can.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I'm having a mechanic do that I'm all thumbs. I'll let you know. thanks
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

O.k.,let me know what you come up with here when your ready and if you need anything else.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete