Tool Hut
Tool Hut, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Owner of a mobile diagnostics company assisting auto technicians with difficult vehicles
77480539

I am getting a P0036 Code on my Chevy Silverado -2008, 1500,

Customer Question

I am getting a P0036 Code on my Chevy Silverado -2008, 1500, using a Onnova OBD PC-Link. Also says HO2S Heater Control, Circuit (Bank 1, Sensor 2) I have change the passenger sided O2 Sensors 2X now, wiring is good.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 10 months ago.

Hi, My Name is ***** ***** for posting your question to just answer. I am a independent contractor for just answer, and ASE Certified Master Auto Technician with 20 years experience. I am confident we can resolve your problem together.Please remember I don't know your skill level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies to get to a satisfactory resolution.There will probably be some equipment needed for a proper diagnosis. If you are not comfortable with this or do not have any test equipment please let me know ASAP. I also try to give all of the information you may need expecting a positive rating. I am not compensated for my time until you leave a positive rating. Your rating should be based on the service you received.

The bank 1 sensor 2 is the sensor after the converter on the drivers side.

There is also a O2 heater reset procedure that needs to be done with a scanner

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have changed both sensors, the one before and the after the catolitc converter. I have reset the computer using my tester and as I am driving, I do not get the code. When I shut off the vehicle and turn it back on, the code re appears. The catolic converters have been changed recently as this code caused the passenger side to plug.

One of the wires should have voltage with the key on. Can you confirm voltage?

Also it is not a code reset that needs to be done it is a heater reset. I doubt your Onnava has that ability.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok, so what you are telling me is that when the key is on, I should test the connector that runs to the O2 Sensor. One wire should have some voltage. I am assuming you mean 12 volts, or less? And how do a heater reset?

Yes 12 volts. Key on.

a tech 2 can so the heater reset. It is the only scanner I know that can. It is a heater resistance relearn.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok, I will check the voltage - have to do it tomorrow. So if no voltage - then what can I look at? And if voltage - then still I have something wrong with the sensor? I will a have to take to repair shop for reset. Not going to purchase another device for something that I am not understanding.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hello?

I am looking at info. be there in a few

Underhood fuse box O2-B check fuse. if no voltage. If voltage likely a reset will assist

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok. I will try these things and hopefully I will see something happen. Thank you.

OK.I am only available until approx 4:30pm tomorrow. I can opt out and let someone else help if you prefer.