GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

I HAVE A 2001 BLAZER 4.3L 4X4, the service engine light is

Customer Question

HI, i HAVE A 2001 BLAZER 4.3L 4X4, the service engine light is on ,the engine is running rough, (spitting and sputtering) . recently had the fuel pump replaced,and shortly after the trouble started. one thing I noticed was that the blazer is very hard to gas up at the pump now, (have to very slowly pump fuel).
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 11 months ago.

Hi, My Name is ***** ***** for posting your question to just answer. I am a independent contractor for just answer, and ASE Certified Master Auto Technician with 20 years experience. I am confident we can resolve your problem together.Please remember I don't know your skill level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies to get to a satisfactory resolution.There will probably be some equipment needed for a proper diagnosis. If you are not comfortable with this or do not have any test equipment please let me know ASAP. I also try to give all of the information you may need expecting a positive rating. I am not compensated for my time until you leave a positive rating. Your rating should be based on the service you received.

Do you have a scan tool?

Fuel pressure gauge?

My suspicion is that you have a vent solenoid that has failed causing the hard to fill problem. The hard to start problem my or may not be related.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
no scan tool, no pressure gauge. could a bad vent solenoid cause the engine to run rough or misfire?

It could it is not a common symptom.

I would change the vent solenoid as it is fairly inexpensive and easy to change.

I would not expect it to fix the running problem.

The most common failure on these for running badly is the distributor gear is badly worn. Are you comfortable with pulling the distributor?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
i m not a mechanic, but i could pull the distributor

make sure you mark it prior to pulling. It needs to go back in exact position. I suspect you will find worn distributor gear.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
its a new distributor.

OK. I didnt see that.

Then I would need you to get it scanned and get a CMP offset value. The value should be 0 + or minus 2 degrees. read at over 1000 RPM

I would suspect it is off.