Tool Hut
Tool Hut, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Owner of a mobile diagnostics company assisting auto technicians with difficult vehicles
77480539

Name is ***** ***** and im trying to figure out my 2002

Customer Question

Customer: Hi Dan, Name is ***** ***** and im trying to figure out my 2002 silverado duramax. lots of issues and not much online im finding
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: ive got a oil pressure guage that is pegged at all times, a check oil level light on at all times an erratic speedometer sometimes abs light/brake light come on when the speedo goes crazy
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $32) to post your type of question to GM Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: still getting a p0380 with a new glow plug controller ill wait
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Chevy
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have already replaced the oil pressure sender and the Vehicle Speed Sensor at transmission output. Nither did anything to fix the problems
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 11 months ago.

Hi there, I am Cam.

Can you tell me I'd you notice anything odd in how it drives when this happens?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
There's nothing different in regards ***** ***** oil pressure and check engine oil level light when driving the only visible thing that happens when the speedometer starts bouncing the ABS light and the brake light come on.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No starting issues with the glow plug code that comes on truck starts fine cold weather or warm it is a California emissions vehicle so it has a different controller than non California Vehicle
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Usually upon heavy acceleration is when the speedometer goes crazy if there is no heavy acceleration the abs light and speedometer bounce don't happen
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I've had this truck into three different shops to try to figure out what's going on with it and nobody's able to come to a solution

Ok, does the fan change speed, cut out at all? Radio go off?

Do you have anything aftermarket installed?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No fan issues. I do have an aftermarket radio installed and occasionally the power cuts out to it. ususally at startup but then it come back on. I have not noticed it happing in conjunction to any of the other issues though. Everything else is stock, i am the 3rd owner so im not sure if there has been anything in the past that was removed before i purchased it.

Ok with only cluster display and what it shows as an issue, and NO reaction from anywhere else in the truck, I am thinking this is either a bad ignition switch contact ( which would include connections for a remote starter), bad ground (usually under the drivers door on the frame), or bad cluster assembly.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I had the truck in the transmission shop a while back and they replaced the ignition switch. It was starting the motor but not powering the transmission computer so the truck could not be put into gear. I can borrow a working cluster from a friends truck to swap out and see if that is the issue. Will test tomorrow and let you know

OK sounds like a plan.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I put the cluster in my truck and replaced with a known working cluster and the good cluster shows the same next oil pressure and check oil level light I also installed my cluster in my friends truck and it work normally so we know that my cluster is good. Also removed and cleaned the ground under the drivers door on the frame rail. Neither of these items made any difference in the symptoms.
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 10 months ago.

OK, top 2 centre pins in the data plug, connect those together. (both grounds) see what that does.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The obd2 plug? Top center?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Should the truck be running? It dosent seem to do anything

Yes, running with the issue happening. IT should fix it if that ground is the issue.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Nope. Nothing happens

I am going to see if other guys have an idea. Hold on.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
As i was pulling the cluster i remembered that i had to run a new 12v power line to the radio because the one in the dash stopped working...maybe something to look at? Also about a year ago one of the cigarette lighter power ports stopped working all of the sudden.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Anything??
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 10 months ago.

Hi, My Name is ***** ***** for posting your question to just answer. I am a independent contractor for just answer, and ASE Certified Master Auto Technician with 20 years experience. I am confident we can resolve your problem together.Please remember I don't know your skill level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies to get to a satisfactory resolution.There will probably be some equipment needed for a proper diagnosis. If you are not comfortable with this or do not have any test equipment please let me know ASAP. I also try to give all of the information you may need expecting a positive rating. I am not compensated for my time until you leave a positive rating. Your rating should be based on the service you received.

Do you have a DVOM?

Can you check the lower right pin for voltage on the connector?

Do you have a scan tool?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I tested the lower right pin and have 12v
I do have a scan tool and as the truck sits right now the only code is p0380.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Just drove around and triggered the following additional codesC0236
C0267
C0237
P0089

The P0380 is for the glow plug circuit

P0089 is a fuel pressure regulator problem

The C0236 and C0237 are for rear wheel speed sensor

and the C0267 is a EBCM problem.

I am unsure how you would like to continue as a scanner will be required for further diagnosis

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
What type of scanner?

A scan tool with Chassis data and bidirectional controls

I will opt out and see if someone else can help you