AMEDEE
AMEDEE, CHEVY TECHNICIAN
Experience:  ASE certified tech ADVANCED LEVEL SPECIALIST. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

I have a 2001 Chevrolet 3.4 v6 automatic. It came with a no

Customer Question

I have a 2001 Chevrolet Monte Carlo 3.4 v6 automatic. It came with a no crank no start condition. Car has full power as far as a battery is concerned. All lights radio etc work at full power. Key to acc position lights up dash. I don't see a security light at all ever under any circumstance not even briefly. The engine light illuminates and is working. There's a trouble code stores related to the. AIR injection. I'm assuming this is completely unrelated. Turning the key to the start position does nothing. Hot wiring the starter from the relay will crank the engine but not start it.
Could it be related to the fusible links at starter?
What would cause a no crank, no start when forced crank condition?
Category: Chevy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The car is a year 2000
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with your question.

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.

One minute while I pull up your vehicle

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.

Is the computer grounding the starter relay with the key in the CRANK position?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How will I know this? Is the small wire on the starter the one we should be looking at?
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.

There are 4 female pins that the starter relay plugs into. Two of them should be power and the third one should be grounded with the key in the CRANK position. The starter relay may be missing a power or the ground preventing it from activating

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.

You will need to test this right at the starter relay

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.

While an assistant turns the key to the CRANK position

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.

Here is a wiring diagram of this circuit

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the upper left and lower left (as oriented if you are looking at the fuse box with the relay removed) have power And the other two are grounded no matter where the key is
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.

So if you insert that relay and turn the key to the CRANK position, does the relay click?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.

It should or 1) it does not have the correct inputs to it or 2) the relay is bad.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The security light is coming on now. It was not before. It only comes on for about five seconds. First the battery light then the security light then the battery light stays on but the battery is fully charged
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.

Ok, that is the problem.

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.

Was the passlock or ignition lock cylinder replaced?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What do you mean that is the problem what is the problem. On further investigation my scan tool shows zero security codes and the security light commanded offIf my problem is within the security system I am fully aware there are steps that can be taken to diagnose and repair the problem so can you go further into detail than just saying that is the problem
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.

I am.. It just takes time to type.

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.

Please relax

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.

Did you check the BCM for codes?

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.

Or do you only have access to the PCM?

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.

Have you tried to do a relearn procedure?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The BCM only shows one code and it says daytime running light circuit I'm pretty sure I have access to the PCM my scan tool has a lot of features but sometimes finding them isn't easy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do you do a relearn procedure I have not tried this
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.

Here is a youtube video. It is rather long but it does show you everything. This is the same setup you have on your vehicle. You can fast forward through the middle of the video if you would like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_njAVpk47_c

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Does it matter that my gauge area looks differently from that one? Also my security light only comes on once for about five seconds and then the battery light stays on in the information center. If I open the door the information center will switch to door ajar when I close the door back to the battery but never back to security until I re cycle The key back off and then on againI tried leaving the key in the on position for 10 minutes earlier I did not know that was the relearn I thought it was a bypass found it on Google but anyway that did not change anything
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.

It is possible that the ignition switch itself is bad. Or the pass lock sensor inside the ignition switch. However if this was the case it will usually set a security code in the computer

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if there are zero security code stored is there any other way of diagnosing this? Or getting around it?
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.

You would have to check and verify the inputs to the BCM and then replace it if needed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK how is this done I guess we should start with the testing procedure
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.

Maybe we should do this over the phone.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If it's gonna cost me an extra $18, I'll pass on the phone call. Is that the only way you think we can get to the bottom of this? If you tell me where to look and what wire to test and what results to look for or how to interpret the results, I'm pretty comfortable around a car I think we can do this
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.

Its a lot of extra work on my part. That is what the extra fee is for.

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.

Lets do this so it is fair for both of us. Can you provide me with an excellent rating now and I will go the extra mile for you (without the extra fee) and will do some digging for you.