sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

Howdy, I have a 97 suburban with the 4x4 won't disingage

Customer Question

Customer: Howdy,my name is***** have a 97 suburban with the 4x4 hi won't disingage
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: it has a the manual floor shift for 4x4 modes and it is stuck in 4x4 high
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Chevy Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: sure
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Chevy
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

The issue may be in the transfer case, it could be a linkage/adjustment issue, or depending on what it's actually doing it may be a tire circumference issue.

Are you unable to move the shifter?

Does the shifter move with no resistance?

Does the shifter move normally but you still feel the front wheels are engaged?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I just purchased the vehicle. I was told by the owner it was stuck in 4x4 hi, a mechanic told her to remove the front drive line and she would be able to drive it. The drive line is not installed. I have not tried shifting it yet. Is it a cable application on that model?

A solid rod runs from the shifter to the transfer case.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Okay, I will get underneath it in the daylight tomorrow and inspect it. Thanks for the info and hopefully it's only the linkage? If I need more help I will call you. Should I reinstall the drive line?
Vince

Yes, the driveshaft is going to need to be reinstalled to see what the actual symptoms are.