Mike S.
Mike S., Chevy Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician
20625509

I have a 2011 chevrolet impala ltz last night as i was

Customer Question

I have a 2011 chevrolet impala ltz last night as i was driving on the freeway my car begin to shake a little bit and i heard a ticking noise before my car lose power and locked up on me as was able to get into a parking lot my dash read change oil soon i have previously changed my oil and filter a month ago but i when ahead and changed it i crank the car up and notice the shaking, heard ticking noise and my rpm needle was jumping 0.5 to 1.5 back and forth for about 3 minutes and the car shut off by itself what is the reason or what need to be replace to get this car back driving on the road
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Mike S. replied 11 months ago.

Check to see if a spark plug wire fell off.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 11 months ago.

If the check light came on and/or you have a scan tool or code reader, it should tell you which cylinder is misfiring and the noise you heard may be the spark plug wire arcing because it came off. If you check the codes it may tell you which spark plug wire to check or just quickly look at them all. Misfire codes are usually P0301 for cylinder #1 then in order up to cylinder #6 which would be P0306.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 11 months ago.

cylinders 1,3 and 5 are on the rear bank and 2,4 and 6 on the front.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 11 months ago.

Was it just a spark plug wire that had fallen off?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
i check my spark plugs two of them was burned out i changed all of them and thing wires too crank it up still got the same problem
Expert:  Mike S. replied 11 months ago.

What do you mean 2 spark plugs were burnt out? Do you have a camera so you can post some photos of those spark plugs so I know what you are talking about. Nonetheless, it is probably going to be something else wrong such as a bad ignition coil that caused this but I do still think it is an ignition problem.

What did you mean by, "thing wires too"?

Does it still make the ticking noise and/or the shaking or both?

Expert:  Mike S. replied 11 months ago.

Do you still want help with this?