JOHN aka Eauto
JOHN aka Eauto, The Car Guy
Experience:  ase tech
6149662

I have a 2002 Chevy Camaro Z28. This issue is with the 4L60E

Customer Question

I have a 2002 Chevy Camaro Z28.
This issue is with the 4L60E trans.
It is binding up in reverse like the brakes are being applied.
This was a professionally built transmission and new torque converter. done less than 1000 miles after shipping it from USA to New Zealand
I pulled it down and found a damaged input shaft seal (first one on the shaft) and the clutches starting to burn.
Fluid was still very clean
I think I have wrongly assumed that the input shaft seal was the cause. I am 99% sure I did not damage any input shaft seal on reassembly.
Low - reverse clutch pack appeared undamaged.
3-4 appeared darkened but I don't think burnt - this may have been evidence of a 3-4 clutch issue before the original rebuild?
The forward clutch plates had started to burn
The over run clutches appeared fine
I replaced all clutches, steels and seals including 3-4 piston etc.
The issue seemed solved only to reoccur about 100 miles later.
As yet I have not been able to find the exact reason for this bind up. No one I can find has seen this fault in a 4L60E before.
I need to locate the cause of this and fix it for good.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 11 months ago.

Hi, My Name is ***** ***** for posting your question to just answer. I am a independent contractor for just answer, and ASE Certified Master Auto Technician with 20 years experience. I am confident we can resolve your problem together.Please remember I don't know your skill level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies to get to a satisfactory resolution.There will probably be some equipment needed for a proper diagnosis. If you are not comfortable with this or do not have any test equipment please let me know ASAP. I also try to give all of the information you may need expecting a positive rating. I am not compensated for my time until you leave a positive rating.

Are you confident that it is the trans that has bound up? I have seen may of the rear ends ion these cause problems.

Did you verify all of the check balls in proper location when you tore down?

Also are you confident that the TAPS were reset after overhaul? (with scanner)

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
All check balls are/were in place and correct.
There never have been any transmission related codes.
Yes, I am confident it is in the trans. The diff and brakes have been checked.
The issue is not always there - to me it looks like a pressure leak or maybe a faulty solenoid.

It could definitely be a solenoid bleeding fluid.

I am about done for tonight and I will not be able to assist further so I am going to opt out.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
my question is still listed for all experts to answer?
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 11 months ago.

Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.

I will do my best to assist you

is it still binding in reverse?

does all other gears work correctly?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have disconnected the trans plug and am testing to see if the issue still exists. - unknown at this time
All forward gears seem to work correctly - with good shifts
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It has not faulted (so far) with the trans unplugged - but I will test a few more times.However I did notice that it seem to have a forward pressure when in park.
Like clutches are partially engaged.

if this is the case,the transmission is still no good,it seems o be sending fluid pressure to two different places at the same time,

maybe the wrong valve body gaskets or even a bad valve body..

if it is doing this,it will burn out those clutches in a short while,

i dont think this is an electrical problem,i think it is mechanical

thanks

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
that is why I need some one who has seen this before and at least give me some clues as to where/what to do next to be 100% sure

there is so many places it can have a leak,,it would be really hard to give an exact place to look,would be best to take the transmission apart and start from scratch,i will opt out,perhaps one of the other guys could give you a starting point.

someone will be right with you

thanks

Expert:  JOHN aka Eauto replied 11 months ago.

usually the teeth in the sun shell get stripped... especially if they reused the original in the rebuild common causes are as follws..

“lo-reverse” clutches are worn out, fluid leak in the reverse apply circuit, or broken sunshell. It is possible to remedy a fluid problem by removing the checkball from its cage in the case in the rear of the transmission may help (must remove valve body), or adding a high-viscosity additive or other seal restorer product. May also have worn boost valve (can replace in the pan).

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No, the teeth are not stripped - there never was any internal damage that was found except the input shaft seal and clutches.
the drive shell is a beast and sun gear repalced. All other gears undamaged and within spec
It is not worn out. It has in effect completely been rebuilt twice.
It have done less than 100 miles.
The low reverse clutches are not worn they are brand new and totally within spec.
Yes there could be a leak in the reverse circuit - but where, and how do I locate it?
I am about to attack the housing and valve body with a crack finder kit.
Which ball valve? The one contained in its own housing with retainer clips? - already removed when rebuilt/kitted
Expert:  JOHN aka Eauto replied 10 months ago.

have you air checked it?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Air checked all piston seals during assembly? Yes - all good

have you rechecked the valve body or replaced it with a known good one?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The valve body has been replaced. All seemed good then the issue returned,

the pump tower seals are the feed into the reverse drum. Check line pressure before you remove it. You reverse boost valve could be sticking