BOBBYSS
BOBBYSS, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, AA DEGREE AUTO/DIESEL TECH
1627031

I have a 99 Tahoe, all lights operate, but no parking lights

Customer Question

Customer: Hi, I have a 99 Tahoe, all lights operate, but no parking lights
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I checked the fuses, (good), but could not find a specific relay for the parking lights also have a Haynes manual, but is of little help on this..
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Chevy Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: ok
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Chevy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also just noted that my DRL's don't work (because it's dark now), does the DRL relay also control the parking lights?
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is Bobby. Thank you for the question. Before we begin can you tell me if this is the old body style Tahoe or if it was the newer, rounded body.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Old body style
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. Most of the time this is a problem with the main switch shorting internally. If you have a voltage meter I can run you through some tests.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did DC V test on fuse #9 "PARK LPS", w/ & w/o the engine running, I got 12v at the top fuse connector and nil on the bottom.
- I am using the wiring diagram in my Haynes manual, but will need to pull the dash off to get wire colors, which is a no go as my wife drives it, so if you could tell me what each side of that fuse goes to, then hopefully I can find the open.
- The DRL problem is not related to this (see above), my wife said it went out a while ago and she never told me, anyway the DRL's are out but the indicator is on. So correct me if I am wrong but that should mean that the relay is good and that I should bypass the DRL diode next to test if it or the DRL module (the thing with the heat sinks) is bad.
- Just for your knowledge I am an electronics tech (not automotive) and am used to seeing the whole enchilada in front of me, but trying to chase contacts under the dash and beyond the fire wall has me a lil flustered, so your guidance is much appreciated.
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 1 year ago.

If you have voltage at the PRK fuse and none at the connector under the fuse then the fuse box it bad. I am assuming that I am understanding what you are saying. That fuse supplies power to the headlamp switch. It is easiest to remove this switch and see if the park light supply wire has power which is the orange wire.